August 23, 2019 | 72° F

70 percent of voters think Christie would not be good president

Although Gov. Chris Christie has yet tipped his hat toward the 2016 elections, he may have already lost support from his home state.

About 70 percent of New Jersey’s registered voters think Christie would not make a good president, according to a recent poll by the Eagleton Institute of Politics.

The results indicate 69 percent of New Jersey voters doubt the governor’s ability to lead the country, while 6 percent think Christie’s campaign to land the GOP nomination has improved and 44 percent believe his chances have decreased.

The Eagleton Institute of Politics poll was conducted statewide and included 860 adults, who were polled by live callers between March 27 through April 3. Of the participants polled, 722 were registered voters and has a plus-or-minus 4.0 percentage points margin of error.

In early voting states like Iowa and New Hampshire, the poll also shows how the governor is lagging behind other Republican presidential candidates such as Jeb Bush, Scott Walker, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and even Donald Trump as he takes in only 5.8 percent, according to nj.com. 

The low percentages parallel with voter’s thoughts regarding which candidate can be described as “presidential.”

According to nj.com, 58 percent of voters felt that Christie does not characterize as “presidential,” 28 percent said the word described him “somewhat well” and 10 percent felt it described him “very well.”

While the numbers may seem stacked against him, the same poll found 57 percent of voters believe the decline will not affect Christie’s chances of becoming a candidate in 2016.

"Voters who know Gov. Christie best simply do not see him as president," David Redlawsk, director of the Eagleton Center for Public Interest Polling and professor in the Department of Political Science at the University told nj.com. "New Jerseyans have watched him in good times and bad.”

Some believe the decline is in part due to Christie’s continued traveling schedule to win him support and garner funding to run a campaign, while others have stated that Christie needs to create a strong presence in other areas of the country to solidify his chances at the presidency.

“It certainly hurts Christie with New Jerseyans, but that’s not a terribly relevant point right now,” Redlawsk told The Daily Targum in January. “If he’s going to run for president, he’s got to establish himself on the national stage as that’s far more important for him.”

David Tadros