HORU April 14, 2015

"I think a very important issue for me is not becoming complacent as an American, because you always hear about this American superiority, and a lot of people, both young and old will just sort of think that America's going to be on top just for however long because that's all we've grown up to know; that we're the number one nation in the world and we're so powerful. But in reality, I think that a lot can change, even in our generation and over the next 10, 20 to 50 years. There are nations like China, Russia, and these other developing countries that are really on the rise, and I think it's important to know that America is what we will make of it. It's not always just going to be number one, it's not always going to be the most powerful country in the world, but it's up to the people, obviously the citizens of America, to determine whether or not we will remain a powerful country. I mean you have high school students who are 14 to 18 years old who may not know about these issues, but to me it doesn't really matter what the issue is that you're learning about, just as long as it's something that interests you. Because there are so many different issues that make up the country and make up its future that it's not even worth it to sort of harp on one issue or the other. It's really important just to understand that everyone's going to take to a different issue, everyone's going to be more passionate about something that affects them. Whether that's gay marriage, whether that's equal rights, whether that's the wage gap, whether that's international economics, whether that's social justice issues, whether it's climate change, it doesn't matter; they're all equally important, and important to different people. But they're all important and the most important thing is that students themselves actually learn about the issues that are important to them, and then carry that with them and actually grow up into working adults. This way, the American people can make a difference, rather than America making the difference for them."