Rutgers officials lift suspension against Omega Phi Beta sorority

Omega Phi Beta sorority, which can recruit new members after a period of partial suspension, is the latest organization that has faced heat after a slew of greek life controversy at Rutgers. – Photo by Yangyeng Lin

Omega Phi Beta sorority, which was barred from recruiting new members during a disciplinary review, has had its partial suspension lifted, University officials told NJ Advance Media.

During its suspension, the sorority could not admit new members, but was able to continue activities, said E.J. Miranda, Rutgers spokesperson. The disciplinary review recently found the sorority did not violate campus rules and concluded no disciplinary action was necessary.

"They have been reinstated in good standing," Miranda told NJ Advance Media.

University officials did not reveal the details of the allegations against Omega Phi Beta. Officials at Omega Phi Beta's national headquarters did not respond to requests to comment.

Multiple Greek organizations at Rutgers have been suspended or are currently under disciplinary review for allegedly breaking University rules.

Five other unnamed Rutgers fraternities are facing campus discipline reviews for alcohol-related incidents, Miranda said. The investigations of those Greek organizations are underway.

Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity's national headquarters shut down its Rutgers chapter in March after an underage drinking incident in November. A 20-year-old member of the fraternity was taken from the fraternity house to the hospital for severe intoxication.

And last semester, Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity was suspended and is pending a University review after the death of 19-year-old Caitlyn Kovacs in September. The School of Arts and Sciences sophomore, was taken to the hospital by friends and died of alcohol poisoning after a party at the fraternity's house on the College Avenue campus.

Avalon Zoppo is a Rutgers Business School first-year student majoring in pre-business. She is an Associate News Editor at The Daily Targum. Follow her on Twitter @avalonzoppo for more stories.