Rutgers institute attracts major players to annual ethical leadership conference

The Rutgers Institute for Ethical Leadership held its 2015 Conference on Ethical Leadership on April 30 at the Hyatt Regency in New Brunswick, New Jersey.

The institute anticipated over 200 conference attendees, including speakers from Johnson & Johnson and the Hackensack University Health Network.

"We see evidence in the news every day that ethical leadership is needed more than ever," Judy Young, the executive director of the Rutgers Institute for Ethical Leadership, told PR Newswire. "Our diverse programs provide several options to instill in leaders a deeper understanding of the correlation between ethical decisions and their organization's success."

Young, a seasoned health care professional, said the goal of the conference is to help educate individuals on the ethics of health care and to help build awareness for recent health care changes and ethical implications.

“We decided to have this conference and focus on this topic because we know that there are a lot of implications pertaining to health care,” Young said. “God forbid if you need these services, we want to make sure there are good quality services available to us.”

“The way we go about deciding on a conference theme and who will speak is, we do our research,” Young said. “We look at what’s trending in the news, we look at what would be important for people who are participants.”

With the recent changes in health care since the launch of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Young says there are many issues the institute hopes to bring to light by holding the conference.

“There are so many changes in health care,” Young said. “I think the topics we are going to be covering will help enlighten participants. All of us are users of health care. It’s important that we are educated on what’s happening.”

Young said the conference is especially important to Rutgers students as she feels health care is a major industry throughout not only New Jersey, but the entire country and knowledge of the system would help student career prospects.

“Rutgers students should be aware of what is happening in health care because no matter what field you get involved with in the future, we all need good health care,” Young said.

Knowledge of ethical leadership is something Young said she believes help students to stand out from the rest of the crowd.

“It will help our students and it will help adults who are out working in the working world to handle ethical dilemmas when they come their way,” Young said.

David Tadros