Roll, ride with some dough from Breaking Bread

<p></p>

Standing amongst a group of students, I waited as a smiling piece of toast plastered on a big, pink food trunk glared at me. Aside from featuring anime characters, the new Breaking Bread Food Truck is not your average Rutgers grease truck. Mainly because it offers healthier alternatives as opposed to the infamous Fat Sandwich. 

Originally based in Sandy Hook in Middletown Township, the Breaking Bread Food Truck decided to make a base here in Rutgers University–New Brunswick this semester. Started and operated by Travis Samson, Breaking Bread is a mobile food truck that aims to bring hot sandwiches and other lunch options to students, alternating between the College Avenue, Busch, Cook and Douglass campuses. 

Samson, a graduate from Rutgers Business School in Newark, said he has always dreamed of starting a nonprofit business that will help his local community in the future. 

“Whenever you get a customer to come back, it’s a good feeling,” he said.

The menu displays their various hot pressed sandwiches, sides, drinks, desserts and soups.

I ordered the vegetarian S.I.T.P. sandwich, inspired by the song "Saturday in the Park" by Chicago. Their most popular item, S.I.T.P consists of basil pesto, fresh mozzarella, tomato, sweet roasted peppers, red onion and topped with unique gourmet mustard for $5.75.

The panini was served hot-pressed and was cut into two triangles, placed in a simple paper container with some napkins. It was hard and crisp on the outside, yet it was soft and cheesy when I took a bite. The combination of the tomatoes, pesto, cheese and mustard created a tasty and savory flavor.

The cream of tomato soup, which was $2.75 a serving, was definitely enjoyable. It was served in a cup, which immediately emitted a warm aroma as soon as I popped off the lid. The soup was extremely warm, enriching, and tangy to the last drop. It was a nice side to the savory richness of the pesto sandwich.

Students can grab a quick bite to eat while in a rush to class without having to break their bank. Breaking Bread provides warm, comforting dishes and meals that cater to specific dietary needs without compromising taste.