HORU February 15, 2016

(2/2)
(2/2)

(2/2) "I get a lot of my inspiration and motivation from my parents and from special women in history. My mom and dad, they're really hard workers. My dad's worked in the post office for more than 30 years, so I get a lot of my work ethic and determination from him. My mom, she emigrated from the Dominican Republic when she was 17 and raised me, my brother and my sister, so she's a really hard working and special person in my life. I think I get my appreciation for women from her too. I've always looked up to women like Sonia Sotomayor, Frida Kahlo, Dolores Huerta, and Rigoberta Menchœ. I have pictures of all these women and my inspirations on my agenda; pictures of Selena, both my grandmothers, Yoko Ono, all the people that inspire me. I have a different way of thinking than most people. I'm not the best at articulation, but visually, collages are just a way for me to put my scattered thoughts into something beautiful. And all of these beautiful, hard working women have really set up precedents for me as a young women who's aspiring to create world change."

To read (Part 3) and to find out more about Monica and how she plans to continue leaving her MARK on campus and on the world around her, visit:
https://www.facebook.com/MarkConference?fref=ts
#MARKmonday