HORU March 30, 2016

"I was born here, and I lived here for about 5 years. But because my mom's from Barbados, I ended up moving there with her family. Growing up in Barbados was such a great foundation for me. It's a very small island, and I was surrounded by family my entire life. But that's also a big reason why I wanted to come back here. I often felt enclosed in a little box. I just wanted to break free sometimes, and that was especially true when it came to having my own style. When I was in Barbados, my parents actually got me into modeling at a really young age. And I had some body image issues at the time, so afterwards, when I was around 16, I said to myself, 'Okay. I can't do this anymore, I'm going to do my own thing,' and that's when I really started playing around with my hair and my style. And after coming here and breaking free, the biggest thing I've learned about myself and about the fashion world, is to always be fearlessly authentic. It's important to stay true to yourself, but to experiment and grow as well. And I think coming here has allowed me to grow into my own and just let go."