Rutgers men's rugby team suspended for spring semester

The Rutgers men’s rugby team was suspended in February due to violations of school policy. Their suspension will last at least through Aug. 1, when members can apply for reinstatement as an official group. – Photo by Photo by Facebook | The Daily Targum

The men's rugby team was suspended for the spring semester due to a violation of school policies in February, said Nicholas Nahrwold, a School of Arts and Sciences senior and the team's captain.

The suspension will last through the beginning of summer, likely ending on Aug. 1, Nahrwold said. The team should be able to begin playing again in the fall.

"The whole team (was suspended) — it wasn't an individual, it was a team suspension," he said. "We were informed of the suspension ... about three or four weeks ago."

Nahrwold declined to discuss which University policies were violated.

The team's suspension was first reported by Brendan Triplett of This Is American Rugby on March 11.

During the suspension, the team is not allowed to practice, play, contact their coach or otherwise engage in any team-related events, according to the article. A local tournament meant to be hosted at Rutgers has been moved to Temple University.

"The club ... is working to rectify any outstanding issues before it can seek reinstatement as a recognized student organization," said University Spokesperson E.J. Miranda.

He confirmed the team's suspension in an email but provided no further details.

"It's a step back to a team that was invited to the national championships," Nahrwold said. "I think the team has definitely learned from this event, (and) a setback like this will never happen again."

____

Nikhilesh De is a School of Engineering junior. He is the news editor of The Daily Targum. Follow him on Twitter @nikhileshde for more.