HORU April 22, 2016

"My grandfather passed away right when I got here, my first semester. And it was tough coming here after messing up at community college too. I'm a couple years older now, and the whole journey of finding myself has been crazy. But my grandfather always gave me a simple piece of life advice that I still hold onto through it all. 'Do your best because no one can ask more of you.' He literally said that to me every day before I went to school. My parents were always around, I'm very blessed to have both my parents and an older sister. But my mom and dad had to work; teacher and port authority, respectively. They worked Monday through Friday so my grandparents raised me. And everyday before school, up until the time he passed, my grandfather would tell me to try my best before walking out the door. And it still rings true today. So other than the stereotypical grandfather trying to teach you how to be a man type of thing, teaching me how to box at the age of 4 years old, he taught me how to give it my best. And after wasting my time in the past, I've been giving it my best and working my ass off here at Rutgers. I finally graduate next month."