Officers who fatally shot Franklin man will not face charges
Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office announced Monday that two officers who fatally shot Franklin resident Diahlo Grant in April will not be charged.
An investigation, which followed the April 9 shooting, found Grant had fired at the officers prior to his death, the prosecutor's office said in a statement.
Grant was shot and killed on April 9 by Franklin Township police officers after being chased and exchanging gunfire with the law enforcement members, The Daily Targum previously reported. In August, hundreds gathered in New Brunswick to march and protest the fatal shooting.
In the police report, the officer said he had reasonable belief that his life was in danger and the level of force demonstrated was needed to protect him and the other officer present.
Grant had outstanding warrants for his arrest, was armed with a handgun and fired the handgun at the officer, the prosecutor's office said.
The day of the shooting, police recognized Grant as a suspect for a previous shooting in Franklin and approached him. Police said Grant then fled the scene on foot and attempted to enter a private residence, which activated a motion sensor light.
The officers chased Grant down toward the border of Franklin and New Brunswick and told him to get on the ground when Grant pointed a revolver and fired one shot at the officers, the prosecutor's office said.
One officer returned fire and struck Grant multiple times. Grant was brought to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and died two hours later.
Noa Halff is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies. She is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum.
Comments powered by Disqus
Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Daily Targum.