WANG: War on Drugs requires smarter, more realistic approach

In an article published on CNN's website, Mayor Svante Myrick brings to our attention that “125 people will die in America today from an opioid overdose … ” From 2002 to 2013, the rate of heroin-related overdose deaths has nearly quadrupled. The way America evaluates its War on Drugs, from mandatory sentencing to the prohibition of drugs, has proved inefficient as the number of heroin users continues to rise. Why do we continue to gasp in shock and shake our heads in disapproval after incarcerated drug users relapse after being released from prison?

A glaring error is the way society tackles this issue of aiding drug users because ironically, there is insufficient aid being allocated toward people with drug addictions. But an innovative and potentially revolutionary concept to decreasing heroin-related drug overdoses has been presented by Myrick. He has recently proposed the concept of America’s first drug injection center, which will be modeled after facilities in Canada and Europe.

So what exactly are these drug injection centers? Insite, a Canadian drug injection facility and the first site in North America, is a center where heroin addicts can safely use the drug with clinical supervision. Clean equipment is also provided to prevent spreading HIV, which is extremely prevalent when needle-sharing. This facility also provides supervision as to prevent any addict from overdosing.

One main argument against the implementation of these facilities in America is that they enable heroin users. What could be more dangerous than providing a safe space for junkies to shoot even more venom up their veins?

Ignorance. That’s what is dangerous. Our War on Drugs entails and emphasizes sentencing drug users without actually dealing with their addiction and the prevalence of the disease — instead, we choose to incarcerate. Preaching ignorance and fearing change will never combat America’s drug problem and inefficacy of the justice system. But I acknowledge the argument against these types of facilities. I understand that some people view this type of service provided as a reason for heroin addicts to bask in their addiction without the usual consequences of transferring diseases and overdosing. But … why is that a bad thing?

While many might believe that these facilities will only encourage and feed addictions, I completely disagree. I believe that no amount of coercion and forcing is ever going to make someone who is not personally ready for rehabilitation be able to seek help unless they know they want and need it. That is exactly why these facilities are so important. In regards to heroin addicts and the usage of these injection rooms, according to a study by the British Columbia Center for Excellence in HIV/AIDS, “(it) includes the likelihood of them entering detox increased by 30 percent, and people are 70 percent less likely to share needles.” Preventing the spread of diseases and allowing people to practice their addictions safely has already yielded positive results. The Canadian facility has already proven that rather than witnessing the number of addicts go up, it has, in fact, shown a huge increase in addicts acknowledging their disease.

<qowt> </qowt>

If one’s personal and moral agenda is to oppose facilities like Insite just because it provides a safe place for addicts, it only perpetuates the same backward thinking that continues to plague our society. A similar issue that could be equated to this type of “enabling” is teaching sexual education in schools. According to Advocates for Youth, schools that teach abstinence-only programs do not prevent adolescents in engaging in sexual activity. The old-fashioned way of pushing the idea that sex is dangerous and morally repugnant on adolescents only leads to negative consequences. What adolescent, with no comprehensive knowledge about sexually transmitted diseases, pregnancy or methods for birth control, is going to not have sex when they have no knowledge regarding the risks? For those still in opposition of drug injection facilities, think of this:  What heroin addict ponders, “Let’s see. I have absolutely no clean needles, and I could possibly die from an overdose. So let me just walk away from my addiction.” See how absurd that sounds? It sounds absurd because we all know the truth. We all understand that educating people and providing them with the resources they need to make informed decisions is the most effective way to see a decrease in drug use and addiction, and this type of progressive thinking needs to be applied to the way America deals with drug use.

Ashley Wang is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in English and minoring in philosophy. Her column, "A Third Person Perspective," runs on alternate Thursdays.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 500 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 850 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to [email protected] by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.