WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | March 24, 2017

laurels_and_darts

WINNERS AND HEROS

Three University students and one alumna have become the first Rutgers team to win the regional Hult Prize competition. They won the not-for-profit's competition with their idea to address the problem of transportation in refugee camps around the world. The plan involved electric-powered rickshaws that would first be implemented in Pakistan. We laurel these students and alumna for not only winning such a prestigious award but also for creating an idea that benefits those in need.

SPILL THE BEANS ON OIL SPILLS

Nicole Fahrenfeld is a professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering who is researching the long-term effects of oil spills. Previous studies did not account for a recent shift in microbes caused by an unconventional oil and gas wastewater spill. But so far, studies are suggesting that high levels of antibiotic resistance, which are being indicated by the oil spill, are linked to clinic infections. We dart oil spills and those who cause them for creating a negative impact on the environment.

SPREAD THE HEALTH

Rutgers University has a community service organization known as Healthy Kids of New Brunswick, which promotes healthy lifestyles for underserved kids in New Brunswick. It hosts fitness and nutrition classes. At these classes kids do a series of games and exercises. They are also provided with small, healthy snacks. We laurel Healthy Kids of New Brunswick for creating a positive environment for youth of their community.

NOT ON SCHEDULE

Rutgers students felt their stress levels go up as the Rutgers Degree Navigator tool became temporarily unavailable to students. This happened Wednesday, four days before course registration. The inaccessibility was said to be part of a software issue. Although the Office of Information Technology apologized for the inconvenience, we dart the software issue for creating more stress for students who were attempting to use the tool to help plan their schedule for the next semester.

STUDIES ON WOMEN STUDIES

According to USA Today College, student interest in women's and gender studies programs is growing each year at universities across the nation. Rutgers is one of these schools where women's and gender studies is the only unit of social sciences and humanities that has shown consistent growth over the past five years. These students usually are interested in race and class issues as well. We laurel this expansion and the fact that more students are becoming more interested and involved in social issues regarding minorities.

STOP THE HATE

A New Jersey district has been the spot of many hate-based and discriminatory incidents in the recent month. Besides a mock slave auction for fifth-grade students and an assignment to create posters for a slave auction, students have used racist and derogatory language in class. Racist, sexist and anti-Semitic graffiti was found in a student bathroom that included a swastika. We dart this New Jersey district for having recurring acts of discrimination and not effectively fixing these issues.