CHULAK: Environmental consciousness is key to successful future

Last week was Earth Week and there is a well-known observation that is important to point out: The fact that Earth is the only planet we have ever lived on and for the time being, the only planet that we will ever be able to live on. With this in mind, I am often confused by the negligence of the great majority of our population. We were given a beautiful planet unlike any we have ever seen before and instead of preserving it, we are recklessly destroying it. With little hesitation, we dump waste in the water and emit smog into the atmosphere. We extract resources as if they are unlimited and destroy ecosystems as if they are insignificant. As our businesses flourish, our environment deteriorates, but some will rationalize our destructive actions with economic benefits. Many fail to realize the economic benefits of a healthy planet and sustainable infrastructure.

Given the current political climate, it may be easy to lose hope for the future of our planet. President Donald J. Trump has proposed cutting the budget of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and has even tweeted that climate change is a myth perpetuated by the Chinese government. He has promised to roll back environmental regulations that hamper business and bring back depleted coal jobs. For anyone who thought this was campaign rhetoric, they were sorely mistaken. On March 28, Trump signed an executive order that rescinded former President Barack Obama's environmental regulations that were created to fight the increasing threat of climate change. The order also rescinded the EPA’s Clean Power Plan. The head administrator of the EPA, Scott Pruitt, has claimed that carbon dioxide emissions are not a primary contributor to climate change and that the United States should back out of the Paris Accord, an agreement signed by Obama along with 194 other countries to reduce emissions and mitigate climate change. It is clear that the environment is under attack by this administration. Trump may not be able to see the long-term implications of his policies, but his children and his grandchildren certainly will. For the future, it is imperative that we elect leaders that trust the scientific community and are willing to work toward a more sustainable infrastructure and economy.

There is a correlation between the environment and the economy. Many businesses are hesitant to adopt more sustainable practices because they are afraid that it will impact prices and investment. Since executives are looking out for their company and shareholders, it is only natural that they are skeptical of environmental regulations. However, these regulations are not put in place to obstruct businesses and decrease profits, but rather to protect our planet and lay the foundation for the environmentally conscious business model of the future. Firms will have to adopt a stakeholder’s approach to their business operations and consider all parties affected by their actions. There may be times that a company must sacrifice profits in order to preserve our planet. Some companies are already taking the necessary steps by hiring environmental consultants and directors, but more needs to be done to change the culture surrounding climate change in the business world. Additionally, companies will invest significantly in clean energy replacements like solar power and electric vehicles. These changes are necessary if we want to undo the damage of the past 250 years and protect the sanctity of our planet.

Climate change may be the single biggest threat facing our nation and the planet. As temperatures continue to increase, the negative impacts of climate change will become clearer. Precipitation will increase, extreme weather will become more frequent and sea levels will rise. The resources we rely on will also be affected. The food we eat, the water we drink and the air we breathe are all impacted by climate change. We need to do everything we can to protect and preserve our natural resources. The future is bright though, because every day technological advancements are being made to reduce our negative impact on the planet. Just as the Industrial Revolution did, a "Green Revolution" would provide a significant boost to the economy. I imagine a world completely powered by renewable energy and an infrastructure built to meet the needs of communities and the environment. As inhabitants of this planet, we need to make sure that nobody gets away with destroying our home. We cannot afford to continue with our negligence, the future of our planet depends on it.

Daniel Chulak is a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences junior majoring in environmental and business economics with a minor in German. His column, "The Hard Truth," runs on alternate Tuesdays.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 500 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 850 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to [email protected] by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.