HORU April 14, 2017

horuhands3
Photo by Jeremy Berkowitz |

(3/3) "Throughout the Summer, I went through intensive therapy sessions to recover, but returning back to Rutgers in the Fall was still very scary for me. It was almost traumatic. I wanted to let the people I trusted know what had happened and what I needed from them. I knew it was going to be hard, but I really wanted to push forward. Some people responded saying they wanted to do whatever they could to help. And initially, because of that, I thought I would return to a very welcoming environment here. But it was completely the opposite. A lot of my friends didn’t talk to me, not even a word. It made me feel even more isolated. But I feel a little bit better now. I’m graduating soon and I’m reconnecting with the friends I feel are most important to me. Overall I feel like as a society, we’ve become less and less caring and concerned about others. We’ve become so much more focused on our success and our own ambitions that we forget about the community around us that sometimes needs a little help and support. A simple ‘Hi, how are things going? I hope everything’s going well,’ can do a lot.”

Humans of Rutgers

Jeremy Berkowitz