Rutgers Arab Cultural Club to host their 10th annual cookout on Friday

With free food, hookah and music, the upcoming barbeque will give students a chance to come together and learn about Arab culture

arabclubbbqcookout
Photo by Facebook |

Friday's cookout, organized by the Arab Cultural Club, will combine freshly-cooked food, lively music and hookah. The event is in its tenth year and intends to educate the Rutgers community about Arab culture while creating a fun social environment for everyone.

Rutgers' Arab Cultural Club (ACC) will hold its 10th Annual Barbeque Cookout this Friday from 2:30 to 6 p.m. outside of the Newell Apartments on Cook campus.

The club's mission is to inform members of the Rutgers community about Arabic culture and language and keep them informed about problems that Arab people face both domestically and internationally, according to their website.

Samar Elmaghariki, the community outreach coordinator for Arab Cultural Club and a School of Arts and Sciences junior, said that the event will include food, sports and new experiences. 

“To set up for the event, we purchase food and supplies in advance and grill the food during the event. We will be serving halal hamburgers and hotdogs and providing hookah. Sports such as basketball, volleyball and football will also be available,” Elmaghariki said.

This will be a great opportunity for students to meet new people and appreciate cultural aspects like hookah and music, said Sara Sayed, president of the Arab Cultural Club and School of Environmental and Biological Sciences senior.

“I remember as a freshman I came to the ACC BBQ and met a lot of friendly people that I still talk to today. So it is a great time to meet people over food that's not the dining hall, but grilled by one of us,” Sayed said.

The Arab Cultural Club is a nonreligious, nonpolitical organization aimed to debunk negative stereotypes and unite individuals who share a similar culture, whether that culture relates to being Arab or being a part of the Rutgers community, she said.

In addition to this event, the ACC plans several events throughout the year.

Other large-scale events that the organization hosts are Hafla and Street Festival. These events share cultural aspects such as Arab foods, music and dancing, Sayed said. 

The Arab Cultural Club plans charity events that, for the past two years, have raised money for the crisis in Syria, she said.

“(We) have collected over $5,000 to donate. It is a very humbling experience to plan and watch the event unfold,” Sayed said.

In the past, the club has invited famous speakers and performers to visit Rutgers, she said. Last year the ACC was able to host Bassem Youssef, a famous satirist.

"He came and spoke about living through the revolution in Egypt, answered questions and showed his new movie, Tickling Giants. It was a fantastic turnout,” she said.

In the future, Sayed said that she hopes that the club continues to maintain its strong campus presence and bring together Rutgers students from all backgrounds.

“ACC always tries to go above and beyond," she said. "The events held would not be possible without the very hard working executive board that feel like family."

Mary Ellen Dowd is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore student majoring in journalism and media studies. She is a contributing writer for The Daily Targum. 

Mary Ellen Dowd