WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | January 26, 2017

RU READY FOR A JOB?

Rutgers University Career Services is helping students by providing them with tools and tips to feel more comfortable throughout the processes of finding a job. By spreading advice about how to make connections, how to take advantage of LinkedIn and how to make an appropriate online presence, Career Services is ensuring students are reaching their full potentials. It is also arranging for first-year students to get a tour of the upcoming career fair before it opens. We laurel Career Services for going the extra mile to work toward students’ success.

GET NJ TRANSIT ON TRACK

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) is reassessing NJ Transit by signing an executive order to do a “full-scale” audit of the company. Murphy has not explicitly said whether the audit will result in higher fares for New Jersey residents, despite the fact that NJ Transit fares have risen 36 percent since 2009. Some worry that the increasingly expensive prices will make some students hesitant to pursue certain internships and jobs depending on their location. We dart the high prices and confusion surrounding the prices.

RATE YOUR PROFESSORS

The Student Instructional Rating Survey (SIRS) has been allowing students to give constructive feedback anonymously about their professors for the last 25 years. Rutgers created the survey in order to observe trends in different departments and to reward good teaching. Professors are even confronted if certain areas on their surveys were noticeably low. We laurel the survey for allowing professors to better gauge how their students feel about the classes.

TOO SICK FOR SCHOOL

Along with 26 other states, New Jersey has been experiencing high rates of influenza-like illness. There has been an increase in the positive laboratory tests in the state. There has also been an increase in the reported absences at schools, workplaces and emergency departments for influenza-like illnesses. It was reported that 20 percent of Rutgers students experiences lower scores and more missed assignments because of the flu and its symptoms. We dart that this dangerous illness is not only affecting the health but also the education of students and residents. 

GRADUATE ON TIME

Due to the fact that more than 60 percent of bachelor-degree seeking New Jersey students take six years to graduate, a new bill has been created to help undergraduate students file degree plans to find more graduation pathways. This bill, A322, was designed to make it faster and more affordable for students to move through college. With financial issues being at the core of the reason as to why many students do not graduate, this legislation will work to focus on affordability. We laurel the New Jersey State Legislature for making it easier for students to graduate on time.

ELIMINATE DRUG CULTURE

Rutgers is going to be one among several New Jersey colleges that will receive a share of $5 million in order to expand its campus recovery treatment services, courtesy of former Gov. Chris Christie’s (R-N.J.) Supporting Students in Recovery program. The program was put into place because it was discovered that individuals ages 18-29 made up 40 percent of all of the treatment admissions reported to New Jersey’s Substance Abuse Monitoring System in 2016. Although the program is admirable, we dart the drastic need for services such as these involving drug addictions. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________