WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | September 14, 2018

screen-shot-2018-01-18-at-6-46-54-pm

REMEDIES FOR FIRST RESPONDER 

Seventeen years ago, thousands of incredibly brave men and women risked their lives and selflessly entered the Twin Towers seeking lives to save. Since the aftermath of the attacks, 10,000 first-responders and others involved in cleanup of the attack have been diagnosed with cancer attributed to toxins remitted in Ground Zero’s vicinity. Some at Rutgers, though, are helping treat 3,000 of those affected by way of the World Trade Center Medical Monitoring and Treatment Program, located on Busch campus. We laurel Iris Udasin, the principal investigator of the Center, as well as all of those involved with this commendable program. 

CURBED CONVENIENCE  

Over the summer, Barnes & Noble gave up ownership of our on-campus convenience stores, and handed over the spaces to the University. The spaces where the stores used to be are now empty, but the Division of Student Affairs has new plans for some of them. The fate of the empty space in the Student Activities Center is still up in the air, but a LAN Center is planned for the Busch Student Center, and a multipurpose room will be added to the Livingston Student Center. While some may benefit from these new plans, they are seemingly not nearly as necessary as convenience stores. We dart the loss of our old stores because of all the students who are now more inconvenienced than they previously were. 

RISING RANKINGS

Of 312 nationally ranked universities, Rutgers took spot 56, according to U.S. News and World Report, making us the highest ranked school in the Northeast. Fifty-sixth place is 13 spots higher than last year’s rank, and puts us on-par with Ohio State and Purdue University — and higher on the list than Penn State. This jump in rankings is just another testament to the fact that Rutgers is growing bigger and better with each new year, and there is no doubt that in the coming years the University will continue to excel and progress. We laurel the University for this hopeful and tangible progress. 

STUDENTS NEED SAFETY

Yet another robbery and assault was reported off the College Avenue campus the other night. The victim was attacked by three men unknown to him on Harvey Street between Hamilton Street and Somerset Street. Luckily, the victim was not in serious need of medical attention. This sort of incident is unfortunately nothing new for Rutgers students, being the sheer number of times something like this happened in the past year alone. We dart the fact that Rutgers students are subject to such crime issues, and that students cannot live in more relative safety in their place of study.  

PRUDENT PARKING 

Hangtags and picking up parking passes at the Department of Transportation Services are no more for Rutgers students. Now, there is a new electronic parking system in place that is based entirely off of license plates. Officers will be able to tell if a car is parked in a lot illegally by simply scanning its plate. While students who park illegally often will be more likely to get a ticket than they previously were, this system is a fairer way to go about parking at Rutgers. We laurel the effectiveness and efficiency of this new system, despite the fact that tickets issues will likely increase. 

EDUCATE OBJECTIVELY

On Wednesday, a student on the Rutgers Class of 2020 Facebook page brought up an interesting point of discussion, stating that he had dropped another class as a result of a professor ranting about their political views on the first day of class. A professor taking a strong stand on politics in a class that revolves around them can have a chilling effect on class deliberation and make students of opposing political views feel more uncomfortable joining in on discussion, potentially affecting their participation grade. We dart professors who unnecessarily share their strong views, and urge educators to teach in an objective manner as well as possible. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________