Rutgers police report aggravated assault on Easton Avenue

The Rutgers Police Department reported an aggravated sexual assault that happened Tuesday at 1 a.m. on Easton Avenue near Cortland Street. Both victims received medical treatment at a nearby hospital and no weapons were used in the altercation. – Photo by Thomas Boniello

The Rutgers Police Department (RUPD) is investigating an aggravated assault, which was reported to have occurred on Tuesday, Sept. 4, at approximately 1:00 a.m. on Easton Avenue near Courtland Street, according to a crime alert.

Authorities said the victims are affiliated with Rutgers University, and reported that they were physically assaulted following a verbal altercation with an unknown male.

The perpetrator was described as a white male, approximately 5-foot-8-inches tall, in his early 20s, having a stocky build, and wearing jean shorts with a white shirt, according to the crime alert.

Authorities said no weapons were used in the incident and that both victims received medical treatment at a nearby hospital.

Anyone with information or who might have been in the area at the time of the incident is asked to contact the Rutgers Police Department Detective Bureau at (848)932-8025, according to the alert.

RUPD provided tips to reduce chances of being a crime victim, including:

• Immediately reporting suspicious activity to local law enforcement

• Remaining alert and aware of the people and circumstances around you   

• Avoid isolated or dark areas 

• Walking in groups when traveling during late night hours 

Students, faculty and staff who feel uncomfortable in a situation, or unable to walk can request escort rides provided by RUPD. The escorts provide personalized service to vehicles, campus residence buildings or the University's mass transit system, according to RUPD.  

To request a security escort, contact the police communications center at (732)932-7211.

Students are advised to contact RUPD whenever they see suspicious activities around them. Students can make reports by text too, as reported by The Daily Targum.

To connect, students should text “RUNB” to the number 69050. If the message is successfully delivered to the police department, students will receive an auto-reply, which then puts them in conversation with the police dispatcher and the 911 communications center.

Students can visit the RUPD website for more crime prevention information, and can follow RUPD on Nixle for updates on issues impacting the community.