Barchi addresses Pittsburgh synagogue shooting in email to Rutgers community

Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh was targeted in a shooting committed Saturday by a gunman who was reportedly known for posting anti-Semitic comments and threats online. The shooting resulted in the deaths of 11 people. Barchi reached out to the Rutgers community with condolences.  – Photo by Photo by Google Maps | The Daily Targum

In an email to the Rutgers community yesterday, Rutgers University President Robert L. Barchi shared his condolences for families and members of the Jewish community affected by a mass shooting that occurred over the weekend. 

On Saturday, 11 people were killed after a gunman opened fire at Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, Pa. Barchi referred to this as a horrific and cowardly act of anti-Semitic terrorism. 

“We share in the worldwide mourning of these innocent victims — and in grateful admiration for the heroes whose actions prevented further loss of life — and we offer support at this moment of pain and sorrow,” Barchi said in the email. 

Barchi stated the need for students, faculty and staff to know Rutgers continues to be a safe space for practicing one’s faith and has long been committed to the promise of tolerance, diversity and inclusion. 

“We are a community that celebrates our differences, and our vibrant student faith communities are a point of pride for our University,” he said. 

He further condemned anti-Semitism in society and on campus, this includes violence and hatred toward people of any religious belief, according to the email. 

“We must always speak forcefully against such evils. Although we come from many traditions, we share a common humanity, and we must protect the right of every member of our community to worship freely and in safety,” he said.