In preparation for Oscars, preview fall's big blockbusters

Fall is finally upon us. The air is cold and filled with the ghastly aroma of pumpkin spice lattes, but in the distance lies the golden haven that is Oscar season. Cozy up this autumn with these weepy art-house films, big-budget superhero flicks and sumptuous period pieces.

“Beautiful Boy” 10/12

Oscar nominees Steve Carell and Timothée Chalamet star in the film adaptation of David and Nic Sheff’s addiction memoirs. Chalamet stars as Carell’s son, who struggles with a meth addiction. Both actors are attracting early Oscar buzz. Make sure to bring some tissues to watch this devastating tale.

“Boy Erased” 11/2

This is another tale of strife between father and son coincidentally starring another "Lady Bird" actor and with “boy” in the title. Lucas Hedges, Russell Crowe and Nicole Kidman star in this family drama about gay conversion. Troye Sivan provides original music.

“Suspiria” 11/2

"Call Me by Your Name" director and peach enthusiast, Luca Guadagnino, helms a “reimagining” of Dario Argento’s horror classic. Dakota Johnson, who starred in the "Fifty Shades" trilogy, stars as a dancer who enters a Berlin Academy. Tilda Swinton plays several roles in the film, including an elderly man. Be prepared to be dazzled and spooked in this artsy tale. 

“The Other Side of the Wind” 11/2 (Netflix)

Netflix spent millions of dollars acquiring the rights and archives of Orson Welles’ infamous final film. This meta-tale stars Peter Bogdanovich and is sure to provide a bookend to the famed director's career.

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” 11/16 (Netflix)

Originally conceived as a limited series, the Coen brothers decided to release their latest as an anthology movie. Early reviews praise it as another silly classic from the duo. The western movie stars Tim Blake Nelson, James Franco, Zoe Kazan and Liam Neeson, each with their own story.

“Widows” 11/16

Finally returning to directing after winning the Best Picture Oscar in 2014, Steve McQueen delivers a heist movie. Critics rave McQueen’s directing and applaud the cast, including Viola Davis and Daniel Kaluuya. Davis leads a band of women avenging their criminal husbands' deaths by launching a robbery of their own. 

“Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” 11/16

The magical world of Harry Potter returns to theaters this fall. Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) and his merry group of wizards face new challenges in the all-powerful Grindelwald (Johnny Depp). Jude Law joins the cast as hot young Dumbledore and I already have my ticket.

“The Favourite” 11/23

Yorgos Lanthimos, director of the delightfully strange movies “The Lobster” and “The Killing of a Sacred Deer,” goes mainstream in this film about Queen Anne, starring Olivia Colman. “The Favourite” stars Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz competing for the affections of the queen. 

“If Beale Street Could Talk” 11/30

Barry Jenkins returns after claiming his Best Picture Oscar for “Moonlight.” The James Baldwin adaptation portrays the love of a young Black couple, as they navigate false rape accusations and a racist world. Early talk has poised the film as a Best Picture contender and a feat of filmmaking.

“Mary Queen of Scots” 12/7

Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie face off in this period piece about the political struggles between the royal cousins, Mary and Elizabeth.

“Under the Silver Lake” 12/7

The production company A24 delayed the release of this LA comedy/noir starring Andrew Garfield from a summer to winter release. Hopefully they are not burying it in the crowded release schedule.

“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” 12/14

Another year brings another Spiderman movie. This animated film looks fun and visually stunning. Helmed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller (“21 Jump Street,” “Lego Movie”), this is sure to be a romp for all ages.

“ROMA” 12/14 (Netflix)

Alfonso Cuarón returns for his first film since “Gravity.” Filmed in black and white, the 1970s autobiographical period piece is supposedly the best film of this bunch.

“Mary Poppins Returns” 12/19

Disney and Emily Blunt aim to sweep up all the dollars this season. Lin-Manuel Miranda co-stars in this movie and wrote some of the tunes. 

“Aquaman” 12/21

Warner Bros. and DC put their faith in Aquaman (Jason Mamoa) to save their failing superhero division. James Wan directs this movie.

“On the Basis of Sex” 12/25

Another Oscar season brings another biopicture. Felicity Jones stars as Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg in her early days at the American Civil Liberties Union.

“Vice” 12/25

Perhaps the most intriguing movie of the year, Adam McKay, who was in “The Big Short", wrote and directed this Dick Cheney biopicture. I implore everyone to watch the trailer featuring a transformed Christian Bale as the former vice president. It also stars Sam Rockwell, Steve Carell and Amy Adams.