BOZTEPE: We should limit use of exclamation marks

– Photo by null

I really hope everyone enjoys my article today! Was that too much? Okay, let me try this again, I really hope everyone enjoys my article today. Well, now that just feels sarcastic. The issue with exclamation points has increased since current social trends in marketing have overused exclamation points in hopes to draw attention to their product, article or point of view. Exclamation points were created in hopes to further display one’s strong feeling of emphasis on a specific sentence or saying. For example, one would normally not just say, "Watch out, there’s a fire." No, they would say, “Watch out, there’s a fire!” Have you ever heard the phrase, too much of something good is no longer good for you? Well that phrase can now be defined as the exclamation point. 

The inflation in the use of the exclamation point has also ruined the level of enthusiasm in social circles that include work emails, texting friends and family and social media. Imagine if you texted your loved one and stated, "I cannot wait to see you later." You now, in the modern age of social communication, sound insincere or sarcastic. Using a period is just the end of a thought, not everything is as cryptic as people make it seem. But sadly, the YouTube videos with titles such as, “Must Watch!! Cure for sadness and 10 ways I became successful and you can too!!!” unfortunately catch the majority of viewers' eyes. Think of the exclamation point as the word awesome. It too used to only be used for things that were truly awesome, which is defined as something that expresses awe or viewed as truly extraordinary. We now use the word awesome for someone who says they were not that late to class. 

Another shift in the modern age is our lack of formality, which inclines many to show more emotion and excitement through writing. We do not email our bosses with an exclamation point to seem immature or sarcastic, we do so to state that we are truly excited to do the task at hand. In the modern age, informality has become linked to sincerity, so it shows that you really mean and back up what you are saying when you use exclamation points rather than that you are being rude or exceedingly acquainted with your boss. 

No other punctuation point has the same power in tone as the exclamation point. The increase in exclamation points in advertising alone is a prime example on how advertising agencies try to surprise you or excite you over a product. It is a tool, and if used correctly it is fantastic. But, the more overused it becomes, the less meaning it will hold. Due to popular culture, if somebody said, “Hey, would you like to go out tonight?” and the person on the other line messaged back and said, “Yeah.” then the other person just does not seem sincere to the person who sent out the message. Periods are now seen as too direct and harsh versus exclamation points that now seem warm and welcoming. 

This pattern is only growing, especially with the introduction of emoticons and emojis that the younger generation views as other forms of exclamation points, such as replying to that person who asked if they wanted to go out with an exclamation point and a smiley face emoji. That emoji adds even more excitement to the reply, but that is then expected from the person who received that text as that becomes the new norm. 

So, what does this mean then? Do we stop using exclamation points altogether? No, of course not, but we need to limit our use of it. It is inefficient because punctuation should not be complicated. If we use exclamation points in moderation, people will no longer question our tone, but they will rather focus on our message. We need to be consistent with how sparingly we use it, so people realize when we actually change our emotion through text without the needless anxiety that comes from overthinking if you are showing enough interest or not. But, we must not replace one issue with another. We cannot just limit our exclamation points and then substitute them with an emoji, for example. A smiley face emoji is the same in meaning as an exclamation point — if you stop using it, it seems as if your tone has changed. Just say what you mean to say and use exclamation points and emojis in moderation. 

Kaan Jon Boztepe is a School of Arts and Sciences junior double majoring in philosophy and history. His column, "Kaanotations," runs on alternate Wednesdays.  

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 500 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 850 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to [email protected] by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.