SURIANO: NJ will do better without Menendez

New Jersey does not have the best reputation in the eyes of our country. Between the “Jersey Shore,” pollution, aggressive drivers and mafia bosses, it is no wonder the phrase “Armpit of America” gets thrown around. It does not help that our state has also been known for corrupt politicians. So why am I bringing this up? It is not to call for a rebranding effort from the New Jersey Tourism Board. It is because tomorrow, New Jersey has a chance to stand up for itself and show the world we are not all slimy corrupt disgraces. We can do that by rejecting Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.). 

For those of you who are not up to speed let me remind you of the myriad corruptions of Menendez. The senator’s friend Dr. Salomon Melgen defrauded Medicare and his patients for millions of dollars. He then turned around and allegedly gave Menendez thousands of dollars, gifts and luxury vacations. The Justice Department alleged that Menendez gave special favors to the not-so-good doctor, including getting visas for Melgen’s girlfriends. Menendez was not convicted or acquitted of bribery, as the case ended in a mistrial after the jury failed to come to a decision. Menendez was not convicted because of a Supreme Court ruling which made convicting politicians of bribery extremely difficult. In the eyes of the law, Menendez may not be guilty, but in the eyes of the people of New Jersey he was clearly guilty — the evidence of this is his absolute collapse of his approval rating.

On the other end we have Bob Hugin, a marine corps veteran, Princeton University graduate and a New Jersey business leader. Hugin is an honorable man who will not embarrass the state in the way Menendez has. Hugin is a moderate and extremely independent on most issues. He has also been willing to break with President Donald J. Trump on multiple issues. It would be better for the state to have a senator like Hugin willing to fight Trump on issues that will hurt New Jersey and support proposals that would help than a senator who will just blindly oppose every proposal causing nothing but gridlock in Washington. Hugin is a senator every person in New Jersey can be proud of while Menendez is one that no person can be proud of. 

Furthermore, the Republicans will most likely hold a slim majority in the Senate after the election tomorrow. So, would New Jersey not be in a better position having a senator in the majority whose vote would be extremely important to Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and would have the political leverage to moderate bills and bring more benefits back to New Jersey than a politically toxic senator stuck in the minority? It is clear, New Jersey would be better off with Hugin as senator. 

What if you are a Democrat and your conscience cannot allow you to vote for any Republican? That is fine, just leave the top of the ticket blank and vote blue for the rest of the ticket. You do not owe any candidate your vote, and if neither have earned it you may simply not vote for either. Republicans did it just last year when they rejected Roy Moore and elected Democrat Doug Jones in Alabama. It is time for America to turn away from the blind partisanship that has defined our times. Also, if you are a Democrat and you rationalize Menendez by saying “all politicians are corrupt” just remember, Trump supporters often argued “all politicians lie” to defend him. Furthermore, if you keep electing corrupt politicians of course politicians will be corrupt. You should not be tied down to a corrupt disgrace just because of their political party.

This midterm election could turn out to be a turning point election in our state's history. We must stand up for good governance and common human decency. Show the country that New Jersey is the incredibly beautiful place we all know it to be. Turn away from corruption and elect a man worthy of the office he is seeking. Tomorrow, when you go to the polls, reject Menendez because New Jersey can and must do better. 

Robert Suriano is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in history. His column, "A RINO's View," runs on alternate Mondays.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 500 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 850 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to [email protected] by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.