Rutgers paid Aminé $65K to perform at Beats on the Bank

For his performance at this year’s Beats on the Bank concert, Aminé was paid $65,000. The event was hosted by the Rutgers University Programming Association and took place on Friday, Nov. 2 in the College Avenue Gymnasium.  – Photo by Kathryn Kusion

Adam Daniel, better known by his stage name Aminé, was paid $65,000 to perform at Rutgers this past weekend.

The University and CLBN Touring Inc. — the agency that represented Aminé — entered into an agreement on Nov. 1 that solidified the rapper and songwriter’s performance at this year’s Beats on the Bank concert, hosted by the Rutgers University Programming Association (RUPA), according to a copy of the contract obtained by The Daily Targum.

Per the contract specifications, Rutgers was responsible for agreed upon production needs and basic hospitality needs like meals, towels and non-alcoholic beverages — anything more would violate the standards set forth by Rutgers.

The contract specified: 

Aminé was responsible for his own transportation and lodging.

In the event that the artist sells merchandise, which Aminé did not, 15 percent of the commission made are given to Rutgers with the exception of CDs, records and tapes. 

In the event that Aminé arrived at his performance under the influence of intoxicating beverages or illegal substances, it is considered a breach of contract and Rutgers has the right to terminate his contract. 

Ticket prices for the event were estimated between $10 and $30 and set at the University’s discretion.

In the past, Rutgers has paid its commencement speakers and presenters between $25,000 to $35,000. 

Through a special honorarium, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was paid $25,000 for her speech at Rutgers last year, according to The Daily Targum. 

Nobel Laureate Toni Morrison was paid $30,000 in 2011, former White House Press Secretary Bill Moyers made $35,000 in 2015 and reality star Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi was compensated $32,000 for her appearance at the University in 2011, according to NJ Advance Media.