Driver indicted by grand jury for charges related to student death

<p>Cory Aufiero, a Rutgers Business School (RBS) sophomore, died after being struck by a vehicle on George Street on Sept. 28.&nbsp;</p>

Cory Aufiero, a Rutgers Business School (RBS) sophomore, died after being struck by a vehicle on George Street on Sept. 28. 

Thirty-six-year-old David Stewart has been indicted by a grand jury for vehicular homicide in the third degree and driving with a suspended license, according to Patch.com. The charges stem from when he struck 19-year-old Cory Aufiero, a Rutgers Business School sophomore, on George Street on Sept. 28. 

The Daily Targum reported in October that Aufiero died after being struck by a vehicle on George Street near Albany and Somerset streets. The initial investigation determined that the victim lost his footing and stumbled onto the street where he was struck by the vehicle. Stewart was driving the vehicle, which was a 2011 Nissan Sentra. 

The New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) said Stewart was under the influence of marijuana when the incident occurred, according to the Patch.com article. Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew C. Carey did not provide evidence to support the marijuana charge, which he said was a part of the case. 

In a University-wide email sent soon after the incident, Interim Chancellor Christopher J. Molloy said Aufiero was actively involved in greek life through his engagement with his fraternity Pi Kappa Phi. He was also the brother of Henry Aufiero, a Rutgers Business School senior.

"On behalf of the entire Rutgers—New Brunswick community, I extend our condolences to his family and friends," Molloy said in the email. "Please keep Cory and his loved ones in your thoughts and prayers. Out of respect for grieving family members, the University always awaits permission before sending a public condolence."