2 Rutgers runners to compete in Terrier Classic over weekend

p10-robinson-dt-1-16

The Rutgers women’s track and field team will be in Boston this weekend as it prepares to compete in the Terrier Classic at Boston University in its third meet of the indoor season. 

The Scarlet Knights are sending a very small group of student athletes to the Terrier Classic, with only three set to compete in two events. Rutgers' field will be competing exclusively in the sprint events while the long distance and field student athletes have the weekend off.

The most intriguing athlete to watch for the Knights is senior Oniesha Clarke. Clarke has impressed in the 60-meter dash so far, placing first last weekend at the Penn 8-Team Select by posting a time of 7.64 seconds. While the 60m is her best event, Clarke will also be competing in the 200-meter dash, and is listed as the No. 2 seed in both events. 

Rutgers' other entrant in the 60m is freshman Iyanla Kollock, who has impressed in her first two meets since arriving on the Banks, and will be seeded at the No. 14 slot on the field. Kollock is coming off a fourth-place finish in the 60m last weekend, posting a time of 7.79 seconds. She was 1 of 2 Knights runners to finish in the top-five slot of the event's final round at UPenn. The week before, she finished second in the 60m at the TCNJ Invitationals with a time of 7.78 seconds.

The other event that will feature Rutgers is the 200m. Clarke and Kollock are the two highest seeds in the event at No. 2 and No. 41, respectively. Clarke competed once in the 200m this year, finishing eighth at the TCNJ Invitational with a time of 25.69 seconds. 

Kollock was the Knights' top finisher in the 200m last week, finishing in 13th and clocking in at 25.65 seconds. Joining them in Boston will be freshman Gabriela Sanchez, who is seeded at No. 84 in the 200m and has a collegiate personal best time of 26.46 seconds, which she set last week at the Penn 8-Team Select to earn 26th place. 

Following this meet, the team will return to Staten Island, N.Y. next Friday to compete in the Metropolitan Championships as they approach the midway point of the indoor season. The team has two more invitationals afterward before they head to the Big Ten Championships in Ann Arbor, Mich. in late February.

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Chris Tsakonas