National Science Foundation awards Rutgers more than $800 K. in grants

<p>U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.) has awarded two grants from the National Science Foundation to Rutgers University. Pallone has been serving in Congress for New Jersey's sixth congressional district since 1988.&nbsp;</p>

U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.) has awarded two grants from the National Science Foundation to Rutgers University. Pallone has been serving in Congress for New Jersey's sixth congressional district since 1988. 

Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.) announced that Rutgers has been awarded two grants from the National Science Foundation (NSF) totaling $883,635, according to a press release from his office. 

“I know that these grants will support Rutgers’ world-renowned research and continue to build on New Jersey’s status as a leader in science and innovation,” Pallone said in the statement. “I will continue to work to ensure that the federal government is supporting the sciences and higher education.”

A project called "REU Site: DIMACS REU in Algorithms from Foundations to Applications" will account for $343,635 of the grant, according to the release. This is a project that aims to support research in the area of f-electron materials and further scientists’ understanding of the physics of quantum materials, according to the NSF page on the project. 

The rest of the money will go to a project called "Entanglement Physics of Quantum f-electron Materials," according to the release. 

“The program draws on the traditional strengths of DIMACS in theoretical computer science, mainly focused on algorithms and complexity,” according to the project’s NSF page. “The majority of the projects address algorithmic foundations, including projects on complexity, machine learning, coding theory and analysis of algorithms for streaming and privacy.”