Rutgers picks up 1st win in 3 games against Indiana

On Monday, the Rutgers women’s basketball team played Indiana on its home court. The Scarlet Knights (18-7, 10-4) defeated the Hoosiers (17-10, 6-9) 69-61, a wider win margin than their previous games.

Sophomore guard Tekia Mack had an impressive game, racking up a career-high 24 point game. Mack’s previous high was 13 points. She made 10 of her 12 attempted shots from the floor, and she was 4-4 from behind the arc. Mack also added five rebounds, helping her team edge out Indiana 30-28 in the rebound game.

Mack has been quiet all season, until recently. She averaged 1.9 points per game her freshman year, but on Monday, she was able to break 5 career highs.

Following Mack, graduate student guard Charise Wilson was able to tack on 16 points of her own, but only went 4-11 from the field. After a tough outing against Ohio State where she went 0-5 from the field, Wilson was able to redeem her shooting average this game

“We’ve wanted to play her and it was great,” said head coach C. Vivian Stringer. “It’s nothing but good. At the end of the day, we needed to effectively score on the inside. That’s that one-two punch.”

This game was back and forth, with 4 lead changes throughout the game. This game represented the closeness of these two teams much like their previous game. Even though Rutgers was down by 14, it was able to bring it back to a neck-and-neck game throughout the last two quarters.

As a team, the Knights were able to shoot 49 percent, while the Hoosiers were only slightly behind with a 42.2 percent shooting average. This last game was a different story than their previously matched game.

Stringer said after a loss against the Buckeyes (12-12, 8-7) that the team was having a challenge getting past the mental aspect of the game. Against Ohio State, Rutgers shot a 26.2 field goal percentage and a 9.5 3-point goal percentage, which does not compare to its following performance.

“It’s mental,” Stringer said after the Knights lost by 20 points to the Buckeyes last Thursday. “They have to do a heck of a whole lot more shooting, because obviously we aren’t doing enough. They have to do that on their own, and that’s confidence. We also need to be able to have a variety of shots to attack and get that shot off.”

After this win against Indiana, Rutgers appears to be headed in the right direction. After a few conference losses, the team was struggling after a 3-game losing streak. 

The Knights will travel to Ann Arbor, Michigan to play the Wolverines (18-9, 9-6) with a win under their belt. This will be another tough road match for Rutgers, who recently lost its ranked status.

“I can’t even express enough,” Stringer said. “It took a great deal of effort and it came at the right time and at the right place. The shots weren’t really falling at the end of the day. The idea is the team is able to contribute in any way that they can. It was the inside people. We were able to get the passes.”

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.