Rutgers visits Michigan for 10th road game

sports-stringer-garrett-11-18
Photo by Garrett Steffe |

After an away game win for the Rutgers women’s basketball team, the Scarlet Knights (18-7, 10-4) head to Ann Arbor, Michigan to take on Michigan. The Wolverines (18-9, 9-6) are currently on a six-game winning streak, while Rutgers got back on track with its first win after a three-game losing streak.

The Knights are 6-3 at away games, and Michigan has only lost one game at home. But Indiana has played the Wolverines and came away with a win by 10 points.

For Rutgers, sophomore forward Tekia Mack had an impressive game against the Hoosiers (17-10, 6-9), ending the game with a career-high 24 points. Mack was also able to grab five rebounds, one block and a steal. All around, Mack was able to make a pronounced appearance on the court. 

Senior center Victoria Harris was able to rack in eight rebounds for the night and added 4 points. She will go head-to-head with Michigan’s Hallie Thome, who averages 5.4 rebounds this year while Harris is close behind with 5. 

Thome averages 12.4 points per game, while Harris only averages 5.8. Thome will be some tough competition for Harris in this game.

The Knights have kept 25 consecutive teams under their scoring averages. The Wolverines average 72.2 points per game, while Rutgers averages 63.0 points per game.

With the Knights having this 9.2-average difference to Michigan, it will be interesting to see how this game pans out with such a wide gap between them. 

“At the end of the day with our scoring up, we needed to effectively score on the inside," said head coach C. Vivian Stringer. "Now if we can go ahead and make a difference, that’s what we’re looking for. We’ve got to have some scoring in the primitive position."

A Rutgers player that is consistently high on the final leaderboards is fifth-year senior forward Stasha Carey. While Carey only put up 11 points compared to Mack’s 24 in the game against Indiana, her field goal percentage average for this season comes in at 52.1 with a 72.3 free throw shooting percentage. 

Carey only averages 12.2 points per game, but this season, she has 38 blocks, 38 steals and 27 assists.

Another Knight to keep an eye on this game is graduate student guard Charise Wilson. Wilson’s field goal percentage comes behind Carey at 36.6, but shockingly her 3-point percentage is a whopping 39.5 percent. Wilson’s abilities behind the arc are impressive to say the least, and there are no Wolverines that come close to Wilson’s stats.

With this being Rutgers' second-to-last away game, it has to make a serious impact with more difficult teams coming up in its schedule. This will be the first and only time the Knights go up against Michigan, and with the season coming to a close, they will do anything they can to get nationally ranked again. 

The Wolverines have gone up against tough competition, with a win against No. 10 Iowa, who Rutgers lost to on Jan. 23. xWith the Knights and Michigan winning and losing interchangeably, this game will pose a great challenge to both. 

Rutgers goes on the road for the second time in a row to Ann Arbor, Michigan in its fourth-to-last game of the season. The game will be held at the Crisler Center at 7 p.m.

“The team is going to focus on getting back and getting some rest and really focusing because Michigan is a really fine team,” Stringer said. "The key is we’ve committed ourselves to not giving up, and we’ve had some rough times, but we were able to make a difference.”

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Delaney Zubrick