Rutgers wins Metropolitan Championships for 3rd time in 4 years

p10-wtrack-sobieski-dt-02-16

Last weekend, the Rutgers women’s track and field team returned to Staten Island, New York to compete in the Metropolitan Championships. This competition marked the midway point of the indoor season, with the Scarlet Knights facing two more meets before the Big Ten Indoor Championships on Feb. 22. 

Rutgers' best event yet again was the distance medley, with the team of sophomore Sara Gutter and freshmen Kayla Rosario, Brooke Riedy and Erin Bertscha earning second place with a 9:35.81 time. This marks the second consecutive victory for the Knights in the event, as they won the distance medley last week in Boston.

The other top finish for Rutgers came in the high jump, with sophomore Courteney Campbell earning a first-place finish with a jump of 1.65 meters. Junior Rhonda Rogombe came in second, finishing with a jump of 1.60 meters.

In the 60 meter, the Knights earned 2 of the 3 spots on the podium. Senior Oniesha Clarke continued her impressive run in the event, earning second place with 7.60 seconds. Freshman Iyanla Kollock also performed her own impressive run with an all-time personal record of 7.69 seconds to finish third. 

Clarke and Kollock worked hard in the 200 meter, earning fourth and seventh with times of 25.17 and 25.40 seconds, respectively. Freshman Gabriela Sanchez also competed for Rutgers in this event, finishing in 27th with a time of 26.91 seconds.

In the 500 meter, highly-touted freshman Reanda Richards finally made her college debut after being sidelined with a stress fracture. She didn’t miss a step, as she finished third in the 500 meter with a time of 1:14.56. Freshman Mackenzie Prezume finished sixth in the event with a time of 1:16.74. 

In the 1000 meter, Riedy earned third with a finish of 3:01.52, coming off a personal best performance in the event at the Terrier Classic in the previous meet. In the mile, sophomore Kaitlyn Bragen finished fourth with a time of 5:11.86. 

In the 800 meter, senior Jenna Sobieski finished sixth with a time of 2:19.96.

The 4x400 meter relays saw two changes, as Richards’s return from injury saw her enter the relay unit in place of Riedy, while Kollock came in to replace senior Phyllis Gordon. Richards and Kollock were joined by Prezume and Sobieski. Despite the changeover, the team managed to find success yet again as they finished in second with a 3:49.09 time. 

In the triple jump, freshman Zia Barr finished in sixth with a jump of 11.17 meters. Freshman Zyra Thomas took seventh in the shot put with a throw of 13.02 meters. Right behind her was freshman Jasmine Van Note, seeing her first action of the year end with an eighth place finish and a throw of 12.71 meters

This Friday, the Knights will return to Boston to compete in the Valentine’s Invitational meet. That meet will be followed by the Princeton Invitationals on Feb. 16, which will mark the final regular season meet of the indoor season.

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Chris Tsakonas