Skincare requires delicate balance, knowing your limits

“Help! They use soap, oil, primer, exfoliator, moisturizer, face masks, eye cream, lotion and a hydrating mist to revitalize the skin — and then it repeats,” cried a clogged and overworked face. 

The religious regimens that we adopt to achieve baby-smooth skin may have reached its limits. Thousands of us are sold on brands promising benefits like a flawless face, so much so that we may incorporate too many products into their routine at once. 

The Korean and Japanese beauty cultures are the trailblazers for having a 10-step skin routine. With their glass-skin finishes, it’s easy to have no doubt that every step works. But not everyone's skin is the same, and some don't require multiple products.

Plus, with all of your favorite influencers subscribing to tons of advertised beauty brands, it's easy to become overwhelmed in the search for what miracle creams will work for you. So, it’s time we listen to our pores and not the latest trend report. 

The banal phrase “less is more” has become lost in the world of skincare. Below are some symptoms you may be experiencing as a result of too many products in your facial routine. 

1. Itchy and red flaky skin

If you begin to notice your face is unusually red, sensitive to the sun and looks as if you're developing a rash, it may be caused by all the active agents in the skin products piled onto your face. "Rashes can be caused by preservatives, fragrances or acrylates found inside cosmetic products," said Beverly Hills dermatologist Dr. Tsippora Shainhouse, M.D., according to INSIDER.

2. Oily skin

One exfoliation product is okay, but by continuously scrubbing, rubbing and washing the face, more oil will be produced as a reaction to overcompensate for dry skin. This irritation happens because repeated washing and cleansing can strip the face of too much natural sebum oil. As a result, this can lead to unwanted blemishes like acne.

3. Breakouts

Avoiding breakouts can be hard if you have clogged and overabundant pores. Unexpected breakouts can make it hard to pinpoint what the blame is if you have a complex skin routine. "When you're faced with a breakout, it can be tempting to load on the acne products, but that could actually be counterproductive," according to Teen Vogue.

4. Tightness

Sometimes tight feelings in the skin can be mistaken for products working, but it's important to pay attention when this occurs, because it may be due to too many skin-absorbing products causing dryness. The tightness can potentially lead to large pores and wrinkles because too much moisture is being taking out of the skin. 

If you're experiencing some of these rare reactions and itchy irritations, it may be time to go back to the basics. By suspending some of the steps in your routine, you allow yourself to examine how your skin will respond to each product you're using. 

If you have a multi-step facial routine, make sure all of your products aren't doing the same thing for the face. This will lead to those unwanted irritations due to the redundancy applied to the skin. 

Also, too much of a good thing can become a bad thing. In other words, scooping handfuls of product and applying more to your face than the instructions call for seem like it may intensify the formula. This isn't necessarily true and can also be a cause of unanticipated skin backlash. 

This article isn't to say that multiple products in your skin care routine are bad. Skin care is a learning process, and takes a lot of trial and error to see what your face loves. One thing every skin type prefers is a healthy body. It’s essential to make sure to drink water, eat greens and exercise regularly to ensure that beauty starts from the inside out.