Governor Murphy is set to announce new budget proposals that prioritizes spending cuts

<p>Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) is expected to announce a proposal for new investments in K-12 education and community colleges.&nbsp;</p>

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) is expected to announce a proposal for new investments in K-12 education and community colleges. 

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) is set to announce his proposal for the New Jersey state budget, which will include a priority in spending cuts while also increasing spending on K-12 education and community college affordability, according to an article by NJ Advance Media. 

Murphy’s administration has been looking for ways to save money in all areas of the budget, according to the article. 

“We want to balance the needs of services, infrastructure, the improvements we desperately need with the need to find more savings to be able to meet our financial obligations going forward,” said Treasurer Elizabeth Muoio at an event last month. 

Rutgers received $433 million in state appropriations for the University’s 2018-2019 budget and an additional $444 million for state-paid fringe benefits (extra benefit supplementing an employee’s salary), Dory Devlin said, the senior director of University News and Media Relations, to The Daily Targum. 

“It is early in the budget process. We don’t know the details of the governor’s budget proposal yet, and we won’t know the effect of any spending decisions until the state legislature approves the final budget,” Devlin said. 

The proposal is expected to include increased investment toward Murphy’s goal of spending $200 million to provide tuition-free community college for all New Jersey residents. According to the article, Murphy asked for $50 million to start, and after a battle with the legislature, he won approximately half, $25 million. 

Another goal of Murphy’s is to increase aid by $1 billion for K-12 education, according to the article. In last year’s budget Murphy received $351 million toward this goal. This aid is also coupled with an update on the budget for education’s distribution, which redistributed funds from districts considered overfunded to districts considered underfunded. 

Murphy is also expected to call for increased taxes on millionaires and nearly $4 billion in contributions to government pensions, according to the article. 

“I will speak once again to my commitment to tax fairness for our middle-class families and seniors,” Murphy said.