Former Rutgers professor facing 160 charges alleges fraud, University framed him

news-whistleblower-linkedin
Photo by Linkedin |

James Goydos, a former director of the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, resigned last December when he realized that he would be removed from his tenured position.

A former Rutgers New Jersey Medical School (NJMS) professor and director of the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey who was charged on 160 counts of crimes, including recording 26 women and three other people in various states of undress, has filed a lawsuit stating that he was initially framed for being a whistleblower, according to an article by NJ Advance Media. 

Dr. James Goydos is depicted in the suit as a “troublemaker,” who drew ire after speaking out on fraud for applying to grants and the direction RWJBarnabas Health's new business model was headed. He alleged the investigation on him originally began under the lead of Saiber LLC, a Florham Park law practice, that allegedly hired retired FBI agents to conduct investigatory interviews and ordered the search and seizure of electronic records, according to the article.

They then — allegedly, according to the suit — destroyed the evidence except for some that was “otherwise innocuous” and delivered it on a “silver platter.” This prompted government officials to investigate Goydos, according to the article. 

The Daily Targum reported in February that investigators found evidence for charging Goydos on 160 counts, including more than 100 counts of invasion of privacy, official misconduct, burglary, computer theft, impersonation, wiretapping, falsely implicating another, coercion, hindering, possession of an assault rifle and possession of a prohibited device after police found an unregistered firearm while searching his East Brunswick home in March 2018. 

The suit also alleged harm was not only placed on him and his wife, but also his patients, as the University declined to give him a list of patients so that he could provide notes for the physician who would be taking over their care, according to the article. 

Goydos resigned in December 2018, when he learned that the University was seeking to remove him from his tenured position. He earned a salary of $437,500 while working at Rutgers, according to the article. 

“Rutgers doesn’t comment on pending litigation, though we will certainly indicate that the record speaks for itself and that we will defend ourselves against these claims,” said Peter McDonough Jr., a spokesman for Rutgers, in a statement. He noted that the University had referred the matter to the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office and cooperated with the investigation.

The details of the accusations against Goydos, which involve accusations from offices of the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey in New Brunswick and elsewhere in Middlesex County dating back to April 2016, not only included the recording of people in various states of undress, but also Goydos allegedly filmed or photographed — without their consent — people in a bathroom at his workplace, the Targum reported. 

Goydos is also accused of entering four people’s offices at the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey in 2016, and stealing their information to impersonate them in a “scheme to defraud” to “benefit for himself or another, or to injure or defraud another."

Brendan Brightman