August 25, 2019 | 64° F

HORU March 31, 2019

img-3105

“I’m actually the first-ever Miss Central Jersey through the Miss America organization. I will be competing for Miss New Jersey in June. And if I were to win that, I would go on to compete for Miss America, which is really exciting. I think one of the main things with being involved in pageants is that there is a lot more to it than what people see on stage. When people think about pageants, they think about the person on stage who has all the makeup on, the hair and the fancy dress. They don’t realize what occurs on the other 364 days in a year when she’s not on stage. One of the big things that I do through that is promote a social impact initiative, which essentially is a community service that you are passionate about, and mine is mental health awareness. I volunteer at the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, and I do a bunch of training programs where I go to schools to educate people about mental health. Being involved in the Miss America organization has given me a lot of opportunities to work on my speaking skills, interview skills and networking with people. That is one of the main reasons why I continue to do this. I’ve done this for five years now, and it’s because I enjoy it so much and see the the value of it.”