Majority of students believe bribery happens at their University

p-1-bribery-linkedin
Photo by Linkedin |

Jerry Zheng, a content editor at One Class, said that in a national survey conducted, students said they were aware of the privileges of being rich, which was why they believed admissions bribery happens at their university.

Recently, a study found that 63% of college students believe that bribery happens at their university. It was done following the college admissions scandal in which parents used bribery to get their children accepted into various universities. 

This study, performed by Jerry Zheng, a content editor at OneClass, also found that a third of “campus liberals” want the admissions process to be regulated. 

Zheng said that there are students who want the admissions process to have federal involvement and regulations due to the way in which the current process has failed to measure up to the highest standards of integrity. 

In this study, Zheng said that students who received a spot through bribery not only put the position of others students at stake, but also the integrity of the university at stake as well. 

“It’s understandable for some students to want to see federal regulations in the admissions process,” Zheng said. “Some likely believe the prestige of their degree is at stake if their school continues to falter in this way.”

In his study, Zheng said that students are aware of the privileges wealth offers, which is why a majority of students believe admissions bribery does happen at their school. 

Adam Hannavi, a School of Arts and Sciences first-year, provided his input on the issue, and said he has seen a lot about this scandal recently. 

“This made me very upset,” Hannavi said. “To have their children just get easily accepted, while many people have to work hard for that privilege.”

Hannavi said that he himself had to work hard all throughout high school to get accepted to Rutgers, and even has to pay for schooling on his own. 

“People want to gain more money and if people have money to give, they will accept anyone into the University," he said.

He also said that while he does not know, he thinks bribery could be happening at Rutgers because it is becoming the reality nowadays. 

Neal Buccino, an associate director of Public and Media Relations at Rutgers Communications, said that the Rutgers Office of Admissions operates with integrity to select the most qualified students across not only the country, but the world. 

Buccino added that the Fall 2018 first-year class had an average SAT score of 1299 and GPA of 3.8, making it a highly competitive class. 

“Its success is shown by both the excellent qualifications and the great diversity of our Fall 2018 incoming first-year class,” Buccino said. “Which was the largest in Rutgers history.” 

Madison McGay