Rutgers Cancer Institute receives $15.1 M. award

5-cancer-libutti-rutgers-edu
Photo by Rutgers.edu |

Steven Libutti, director of the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey and senior vice president of oncology services at RWJBarnabas Health, said the institute was committed to providing integrated cancer care to those in the state. 

The Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey (CINJ) has been awarded a $15.1 million grant as part of its redesign efforts, according to an article on its website. 

CINJ is the only Comprehensive Cancer Center, as recognized by the National Cancer Institute in the state, and only 1 of 50 nationally. The designation is granted competitively to institutions characterized by the highest level of scientific excellence in cancer research and the ability to translate research discoveries into novel treatments, according to the article. 

“The awarding of this grant and redesignation by the NCI reaffirms the value Rutgers Cancer Institute provides to our state through research, treatment, prevention and education. Together with RWJBarnabas Health, we are committed to providing integrated, cutting-edge cancer care to those in New Jersey and the region. And through a long-time collaboration with Princeton University, we have partnered the largest public and private research universities in New Jersey to advance scientific discoveries that serve as the foundation for tomorrow’s innovative cancer therapies. This grant serves as a further investment into that work, and I am proud to lead our internationally recognized researchers and clinicians in these efforts which improve the health of those in our state and beyond,” said CINJ Director Steven Libutti, who is also the senior vice president of oncology services at RWJBarnabas Health.

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) said that a focus on innovation and collaboration in life sciences will change New Jersey and the nation for the better. 

“This long-standing collaboration between Rutgers and Princeton University is focused on reducing our state’s cancer burden through collaborative research, innovative treatment options and emphasizing cancer prevention and education to residents across the state. As governor, I am proud to have such a ground-breaking and forward-looking facility in New Jersey and confident that the work being done at Rutgers Cancer Institute will impact countless lives," he said.

The center will not only advance research and treatments, but also is responsible for putting forth programs emphasizing cancer education, prevention and outreach that serve their states and catchment areas, according to the release. It will also examine the impact of tobacco regulation and the impact of tobacco control policies. 

“This redesignation indicates that world-class cancer care and research continues to be delivered by Rutgers,” said Brian Strom, chancellor of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS). “Our commitment is to advance human health by all means, from delivery of state-of-the-art care, to new discoveries, to translating scientific discoveries into clinical advances. This commitment benefits the lives of our patients in New Jersey and beyond.”

Brendan Brightman