Rutgers exchange student wins $1.4 M. after being struck by vehicle in crosswalk

1-1-4m-dustin-4-19
Photo by Dustin Niles |

While she was jogging through the crosswalk to Buccleuch Park in New Brunswick, plaintiff Ziyue Xia was struck by a motorist driving on George Street with the front passenger's side of the vehicle in 2016. 

An exchange student at Rutgers in 2016 has settled for $1.4 million in a lawsuit after she was struck by a vehicle at a crosswalk while jogging from Busch campus in Piscataway. She was jogging along the John A. Lynch Sr. Memorial Bridge that brings Route 18 over the Raritan River, to Buccleuch Park in New Brunswick, according to an article by New Jersey Law Journal. 

The plaintiff, Ziyue Xia, followed the jogging path along the bridge and, at New Brunswick, went through a crosswalk where the path led to the park, said her attorney Nicholas Leonardis of Stathis & Leonardis, LLC, according to the article.

When at the crosswalk, a motorist driving on George Street — the defendant, Sanford Becker — struck Xia with the front passenger’s side of the vehicle, according to the article.

Becker said that he did not see Xia due to the glare from the sun, said his attorney Jason Winkler of Winter & Winkler, P.C., who confirmed the settlement, according to the article.

Xia suffered a head laceration, subdural hematoma and traumatic brain injury, which caused her to be hospitalized for 13 days, according to the article. She received treatment in her home country of China before she she returned to Rutgers in January 2017 to attend for the spring semester, Leonardis said. 

The suit claimed that Xia was also able to maintain a high GPA despite having to spend more time on work due to concentration and memory issues associated with the subsequent brain injury, according to the article. 

Brendan Brightman