Rutgers takes 1 game against Indiana

10-hughes-casey-3-19
Photo by Casey Ambrosio |

The Rutgers softball team was unable to win the series against Indiana over the weekend, but did clinch the final game on Sunday afternoon for a 5-2 win to close out Game Three. Going into last weekend, the Scarlet Knights (25-22, 9-11) won 7 of the last 8 games and have now put that stat to 8 of 10.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Corah Price kept the Hoosiers (33-19, 8-12) from running over Games Two and Three of the series. 

After Rutgers took a hit in the first game, the Colorado Springs, Colorado native was brought in to start off the second game and held on for the rest of the series. She recorded 10 strikeouts with seven of them coming from Sunday’s game. 

Even under the pressure of bases loaded and two outs, Price was able to seize the moment only letting Indiana run away with 13 hits and 5 runs in the last two games.

Game One (9-1, Indiana)

Leading off the first pitch of the series, senior infielder Jess Hughes scored a base hit and retired the run with freshman infielder Aleah Marra replacing her on the base. Marra moved her way from base to base, all the way to home thanks to junior infielder Nicole Bowman’s RBI single. 

Afterward, it was all Indiana that kept the Knights scoreless the rest of the time, including a 1-2-3 inning at top of the fifth to close out the first game. Senior right-handed pitcher Whitney Jones struggled to hold off the Hoosiers in their first run of many, starting with back-to-back doubles in the second inning to tie the game. 

Game Two (3-2, Indiana)

A leadoff solo home run in the second inning for Indiana rattled Rutgers for the majority of the second game. With the Knights unable to score in five innings, it was all Price to hold off Indiana to eight hits — one of them being an RBI double in the bottom of the fourth that put the Hoosiers up by two.

One play turned Rutgers around for the rest of the series. 

After Hughes’s leadoff walk in the top of the sixth inning, junior utility Anyssa Iliopoulous to hit a 2-run homer for the Knights to tie the game at 2-2. 

Price continued to stop the Hoosiers’ batters with a scoreless sixth inning for Indiana. But, the last inning saw the Hoosiers' runner on third make her way to home from a hit that went down centerfield for the 3-2 finish.

Game Three (5-2, Rutgers)

It didn’t matter that Sunday’s game was Indiana’s Senior Day. From its two consecutive losses to the Hoosiers, Rutgers came in hungry for a win and left it all out on the field.

Hughes got the ball rolling with a huge right-field homer that put the Knights in the early lead on the board.

Sophomore infielder Myah Moy logged a 2-run RBI double, bringing sophomore outfielder Erin Collins and Marra to home. With Moy moving to third, Hughes hit down the right field for an RBI single and putting Rutgers up to its biggest lead against Indiana in 4-0.

The Knights kept their streak alive in the third inning. Bowman singled and made her way across the plates with freshman center Penelope Russ’s RBI single to center field, adding another run to Rutgers' 5-1 lead over the Hoosiers.

Next up, the Knights have a single game against LIU Brooklyn on Wednesday at 4 p.m. at Rutgers' Softball Complex.

The Blackbirds (29-14) have won the past 10 out of 11 games, losing only to Stony Brook in a midweek game two weeks ago. 

This will be Rutgers’ first single game since it faced Fordham last month at home and the last of four home games for the Knights, wrapping up one of their best conference seasons since joining the Big Ten.

For updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba