Rutgers drops 3-game series to No. 23 Michigan

The Rutgers softball team took down Fordham, last Wednesday. The game was decided by the run-rule after the Scarlet Knights (16-17, 0-6) went up 10-2 with senior infielder Jess Hughes’s 2-run RBI single.

The Rams (11-19) scored a run in the first inning on a passed ball before Rutgers settled down and took care of business.

The Knights scored at least 1 run in each inning. Junior utility Anyssa Iliopoulos went 3-3 with 3 RBIs, two of them coming off a dinger in the bottom half of the first. Hughes had 4 RBIs, one of them being a milestone as the senior reached 100 career RBIs.

Freshman pitcher Corah Price was 7-4 entering this game and was sensational on the mound allowing just 2 runs, only one was earned.

Rutgers ran into trouble against Michigan who was on an eight-game winning streak before arriving to Piscataway on Friday. 

The first game went the exact opposite as Fordham's, as the Knights fell to the No. 23 Wolverines (23-10, 6-0) 10-2 in five innings. 

Hughes went yard in the third inning, ending Michigan left-handed pitcher Meghan Beaubien’s streak of 32.1 scoreless innings. This game was Hughes' 12th multi-hit game of the season.

The second game Rutgers was shut out 7-0. The Knights did not go out without a fight though. After surrendering 2 runs in the first inning, Price came back and was doing her best to keep the lead manageable, only letting up 3 runs through 6 innings against a dangerous Wolverines' lineup.

Rutgers had runners on base throughout the game. In the first inning, the bases were loaded with just one out and Michigan’s starting pitcher Alex Storako left the game. Beaubien came in for relief and took care of the rest, allowing no runs.

The third and final game was scheduled for Sunday, but was moved to Saturday due to weather conditions.

The Knights fought hard to make this game interesting. After being down 5-0 through 3.5 innings, freshman catcher Katie Wingert belted a 3-run shot over the fence. 

The Wolverines were not phased by Wingert's home run, as they followed Wingert’s home run with 3 runs of their own in the top of the fourth inning. Michigan would go on to win the game by a final score 4-7.

Rutgers drops to 16-7 and remains quiet in the Big Ten with no conference wins.

The Knights will prepare to change that statistic this weekend when they travel to Columbus, Ohio to battle Ohio State.

For updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TagumSports on Twitter.