August 23, 2019 | 79° F

Rutgers takes 2 titles at Florida Relays

This past weekend, the Rutgers women’s track and field team traveled to Gainesville, Florida for the Florida Relays, where it competed against some of the most top-tier programs in the country. The Scarlet Knights had two momentous wins this week, with national recognition. 

Freshman Reanda Richards got first place in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 57.21, which is currently the fastest time in the nation. She won by less than four-tenths of a second, but now holds a historic achievement.

Last weekend, Richards scored the third-fastest time in Rutgers history, running with a 1:00.25 time: A whole 5 seconds faster than the second-place finisher, earning her a first-place finish.

This week, Richards climbed her way to the second-fastest time in school history by dropping approximately 3 seconds from her previous record. The current record is held by Lori McCauley, who posted a time of 55.69 back in 1982 as an American record-holder.

Since Richards is only a freshman, there is plenty of time for her to conquer the current record, especially on the track she follows now.

Another notable achievement for the Knights comes from junior Rhonda Rogombe, who was .01 meters away from tying the school record for high jump. Rogombe, who jumped 1.78 meters (5-10.00), a half an inch from the school record set by Kimberly Fife back in 1999, holds the indoor school record for high jump at 1.80 meters (5-10.75). 

While she nabbed the school record back in 2016, Rogombe still has the remainder of this season giving her multiple opportunities to break that record, with around 10 more meets to come.

On April 5 and 6, Rutgers will take a break from traveling and will stay in New Jersey to compete at the Sam Howell Invitational in Princeton. The following meet on April 12 and 13 will be held in Piscataway at the Bauer Track and Field Complex. These two meets are prime opportunities for the women to race in a familiar environment with more rest than usual.

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Delaney Zubrick