August 22, 2019 | 76° F

Strike is averted, faculty receives new contract

news-strike-garrett
Photo by Garrett Steffe |

The AAUP-AFT is still negotiating a contract for part-time lecturers, but they did receive equal pay for equal work for full-time faculty.

The Rutgers American Association of University Professors and American Federation of Teachers (AAUP-AFT) announced they had reached an agreement on a new contract with the University and would not go on strike, according to an AAUP-AFT press release. 

“We made history today. For the first time in the union’s nearly 50-year history, we won equal pay for equal work for female faculty, faculty of color and for faculty in the Newark and Camden campuses. We won significant pay raises for our lowest paid members, our graduate employees who will see their pay increase from $25,969 to $30,162 over the course of the contract,” said Deepa Kumar, president of AAUP-AFT and associate professor in the Department of Journalism and Media Studies, in the press release. 

Graduate employees and non-tenure track (NTT) faculty also won greater job security, said David Hughes, a professor in the Department of Anthropology, in the press release. NTT faculty will enjoy multi-year contracts to terms up to seven years and will for the first time have a grievance procedure with binding arbitration.

The University’s “no-green card” policy was also revised, and Rutgers will now sponsor NTT faculty for full-time residency, Hughes said in the release. 

The AAUP-AFT also received protections against the conversion of those in teacher assistant positions into part-time lecturers, who make $5,178 without health care, Hughes said in the release. 

The negotiations for the contract for part time lecturers continues, he said. 

“Nearly 3,000 part-time lecturers still await a contract, fair salaries and health care,” Hughes said in the release. 

A press conference will be held today at 10 a.m. on 11 Stone Street in New Brunswick, New Jersey, according to the release. 

Brendan Brightman