ABC show films episode on Rutgers campus

<p>Actor Daniel Craig filmed a scene from an Omega Watches campaign in the Aquatic Center at Werblin Recreation Center in New Brunswick.</p>

Actor Daniel Craig filmed a scene from an Omega Watches campaign in the Aquatic Center at Werblin Recreation Center in New Brunswick.

This past summer, the new ABC television show “Emergence” was brought to the Rutgers for filming. While the crew is unable to provide specific details about the scene filmed, segments were shot on Livingston campus, including a scene in the Rutgers Business School. 

“Emergence” is about a police chief who takes in a young child she finds near the site of a mysterious accident, with the child having no memory of what has happened, said Kathleen Nathan, a senior community affairs specialist at the University. 

“The investigation draws her into a conspiracy larger than she ever imagined,” Nathan said. “And the child’s identity is at the center of it all.” 

In order for any filming like this to take place on campus, producers must complete a set of requirements to be granted permission, Nathan said. 

“The University’s Office of Community Affairs fields requests from production companies interested in filming on campus properties,” she said. “We have set guidelines and policies that all approved productions must adhere to. This includes a University-endorsed location agreement, insurance requirements and fees, all of which are required prior to the commencement of any filming.” 

Nathan also said that even though producers can be granted permission to film on campus, there are some restrictions. 

While projects are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, filming is typically not allowed in residence halls or dining halls in order to minimize disruption to campus life. 

When it comes to the fees that productions must pay, that is dependent upon the type of production taking place, Nathan said. Though, they are calculated on a half-day and full-day basis. 

In the end, this is not the first project that used Rutgers’ campus as its filming location. There have been several other projects — including television shows, commercials and print campaigns, both small and large — Nathan said. 

“We recently managed a two-day commerical shoot for TickPick, a no-fee ticket marketplace. Last year we managed a campaign for Omega Watches, including scenes filmed with actor Daniel Craig,” she said. “TLC’s 'Cake Boss' filmed in the Geology Museum, and both PBS and the History Channel have regularly filmed on campus for various projects.” 

The episode that includes scenes filmed at Rutgers is currently set to air on Tuesday, Oct. 8, Nathan said.