Points Per Read- Week Two

What an entertaining start to the 2019 NFL season. Week one was an emotional roller coaster for many fantasy owners worldwide. We witnessed the complete and utter collapse of the Cleveland Browns, along with a couple of thrilling performances by unlikely candidates. 

Last week we covered a few guys I believed would start the year off with a bang. Several of the mentioned players scored at least 1 touchdown during their 2019 debut. The Tennessee Titans' running back, Derrick Henry, who I believed would leave us underwhelmed, did anything but that. 

I guess you could say the lesson was learned: Don’t sleep on the 2015 Heisman Trophy winner. This week, again we will cover a few players I believe must be locked into your lineup come gameday, but our main focus will shift to the all important waiver wire. 

Week one was home to a multitude of breakouts, as well as a couple of devastating injuries, leaving the waiver wire rampant with talent. The first thing you should note is for someone to be considered a waiver wire target, they must be owned in less than 66% of leagues. So of course, if players like T.J. Hockenson, DeSean Jackson or even Adrian Peterson are available in your league, I would strongly consider making a bid for them. 

Top Waiver Wire Adds: Receiver

Marquise Brown 

There’s a reason he goes by "Hollywood Brown." This kid is electric. Brown was one of my favorite sleepers heading into this year. There was no doubt in my mind he possessed all of the talent necessary to be an elite receiver, but it was at quarterback where the majority of my questions resided. 

All questions were answered as Lamar Jackson torched the Dolphins for an impressive 324 yard and 5-touchdown performance. Brown finished the game with 4 receptions for 147 yards and two scores on five targets. 

The question does still remain, can this all be credited to Jackson and Brown, or is the Dolphins defense just that terrible? It certainly looks like it is, but regardless of how porous the Dolphins defense might be there is no denying the potential these two players hold. 

Brown is a player I’ll be looking to take a flyer on in all of my leagues. He’s worth up to 10% of your FAAB budget in auction leagues. 

Terry McLaurin

One of the biggest mysteries heading into the 2019 season was who would lead the Redskins receiving corps. Following an impressive week one performance, it looks like McLaurin might be poised to fill that role. He finished the game with 5 receptions for 125 yards and 1 touchdown on seven targets. 

The former third-round pick displayed his speed on a 69-yard touchdown reception in the second quarter. He is arguably the most talented receiver on the roster. It also shouldn’t be forgotten that Dwayne Haskins, McLaurin’s former teammate and quarterback at Ohio State, is also on the roster and could very well take over the starting job should the Redskins get off to a rough start. 

McLaurin is worth 5% of your FAAB budget in auction leagues.

John Ross

Entering this weeks contest, Ross’ career highs were 3 receptions and 52 yards respectively, so this was by far the best game of his young career. In the absence of A.J. Green, Ross boasted a line of 7 receptions for 158 yards and a score on a whopping 12 targets. 

Ross has always found a way to be productive in Green’s absence, scoring in 5 out of 7 games he played last year while Green was sidelined with a toe injury. Green isn’t expected to return until week four at the earliest, so Ross will be given the opportunity to make a name for himself. Ross is a former first round pick and reigning 40-yard dash champion who has disappointed mightily to this point in his career. 

This weekend's performance was encouraging to say the least and he’s worth at least 5% of your FAAB budget in auction leagues.

Injuries of note: Tyreek Hill (collarbone), Mike Williams (knee), Sterling Shepard (concussion), Devin Funchess (collarbone), Albert Wilson (calf)

Other receivers worth targeting: D.K. Metcalf, John Brown, Jamison Crowder, Mecole Hardman, D.J. Chark, DeVante Parker, A.J. Brown

Top Waiver Wire Adds: Running Back

Ronald Jones

Jones was impressive in his season debut, rushing 13 times for 75 yards while also notching an 18-yard reception. Despite the close split between carries (8 rushes for Barber to Jones’ 13), Jones simply outperformed Barber. Jones, a former second round pick out of USC, rushed just 23 times for 44 yards and 1 touchdown, last season. 

It should be noted that Jones added a much needed 13 pounds of muscle in the offseason and it showed during this weekend's performance. He was able to break tackles effectively and extend runs, something we were deprived of seeing last year. Jones could very well take over this backfield and become the primary running back in Tampa. 

If this happens, Jones would be a potential RB2 that could carry your team to the championship. He is worth at least 15% of your FAAB budget in auction leagues.

Carlos Hyde

Hyde played surprisingly well in tandem with Duke Johnson against the Saints on Monday night. Hyde concluded the night with 10 carries for 83 yards as well as a 2-yard reception. I’m skeptical of whether Hyde can recreate this efficiency week in and week out. He’s been a rather inconsistent player throughout his career, but the potential of being the leading rusher for a powerful offense isn’t something that should be overlooked. 

Hyde is worth adding in all leagues, although I wouldn’t recommend starting him right away until we see more from him. Hyde is worth up to 10% of your FAAB budget in auction leagues.

Injuries of note: Joe Mixon (ankle), Tevin Coleman (ankle), Derrius Guice (knee)

Other running backs worth targeting: Justin Jackson, Giovani Bernard, Chris Thompson, Malcolm Brown, Raheem Mostert, Alexander Mattison, Darren Sproles

Players that will boom in week two: Matt Breida, Austin Ekeler, Tyrell Williams, Antonio Brown (if active), John Brown, Chris Thompson