Points Per Read- Week Three

We are officially two weeks into the NFL season and we’ve received a bit more clarity when it comes to how the 2019 season will play out. Of course, being only two weeks into the season, there are inevitably still a fair share of mysteries, but there are a couple of things we can say for certain. For starters, the Miami Dolphins are even worse than people thought they would be, which is pretty remarkable if I must say. 

I mentioned in my week one preview that stacking players against the Dolphins could be a theme this year, and that has certainly proved to be the case. The Dolphins have given up a staggering 102 points in two games. I think it is safe to say if you have a player on your squad that’s matched up against the Dolphins, find a way to get them into your lineup. Aside from the Dolphins' historically bad start, there are a couple of other things that occurred this week that will greatly impact the fantasy landscape. 

Week two was anything but generous to the quarterback position. Ben Roethlisburger will be sidelined for the remainder of the 2019 season with an elbow injury, and Mason Rudolph will look to revive what seems to be a lost season in Pittsburg. 

Another legendary quarterback, Drew Brees, met a similar fate on Sunday afternoon when he injured his right thumb. It is projected that Brees will miss 6 to 8 weeks as he will undergo surgery on his thumb. Teddy Bridgewater will take the reins and look to keep New Orleans on track while their star quarterback recovers. 

Lastly, the quarterback of the New York Jets, Sam Darnold, was diagnosed with infectious mononucleosis. Expectations were high for the Jets and Darnold following the acquisitions of star linebacker C.J. Mosely and all-pro running back Le'veon Bell. After a fourth quarter collapse against the Buffalo Bills in week one, things looked down for the Jets. 

Now with Sam Darnold sidelined indefinitely, and their backup quarterback Trevor Siemian out for the year with an ankle injury, the fate of the Jets rests firmly in the hands of third string quarterback Luke Falk (given a free agent isn’t acquired). 

With an incredibly tough schedule ahead of them, I would avoid starting any Jets players for the foreseeable future with Bell being the lone exception. 

With all of the major injuries this week, fantasy owners are left wondering how their star players will be impacted, as well as scrambling for possible replacements. Luckily, I have you guys covered. 

In this week's installment of Points Per Read, we’ll go over a couple of guys that could be suitable replacements for injured players, and some guys I believe will produce big time this weekend. I will also include my weekly running back and wide receiver rankings at the end of the column. Without further ado, let’s get into it. 

Dak Prescott

I didn’t think it was possible, but the Dolphins defense just got even worse following the trade of sophomore safety Minkah Fitzpatrick. Prescott has started the season off with a bang, posting back to back weeks with 28-plus points. Though the loss of Michael Gallup will hurt a bit, he is still in line for a monster week against a Dolphins defense that has given up around 60 fantasy points to quarterbacks in just two weeks. 

The quarterback position just got even shallower due to the injuries of Roethlisberger and Brees, so if Prescott is somehow available in your league, scoop him up as soon as possible. I would even consider trading for him at this point because I believe that Prescott will finish as a top-five fantasy quarterback in 2019. 

Mike Evans

If you are an Evans owner like I am, I’m sure you’re pretty disappointed with his performance thus far. Evans was in line for an increased roll this year after the departure of Adam Humphries and Desean Jackson. Chris Godwin has looked impressive so far, as I predicted, and I believe he will ultimately lead the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in receptions. 

But, to put it simply, Evans is just the more talented receiver. I believe he will finally make fantasy owners happy they picked him this weekend against the New York Giants. The Giants have yielded the most fantasy points to receivers, so expect Evans to have a big day.  

Kenny Golladay

Golladay is another guy I had faith in coming into this season. Standing at 6-foot-4-inches, he reminds me of another receiver that played in Detroit not too long ago. Golladay broke out last year with 70 receptions for 1,063 yards and 5 touchdowns. 

I believe he will surpass last year's numbers in all three categories. He is off to a good start with 12 receptions, 160 yards and 2 touchdowns. Golladay will take on a Philadelphia Eagles defense that has allowed three 100-yard performances and 5 touchdowns to wide receivers through two weeks. 

Golladay is a must start this week, and he is a player I would look to trade for in a package deal if you are a Michael Thomas or JuJu Smith-Schuster owner. 

Frank Gore

Gore is rostered in only 16.4% of ESPN leagues, but if you need a fill-in player this week he is a strong candidate. The Bills are “gathering information” on Devin Singletary’s hamstring injury, so I would monitor this situation closely. 

Gore rambled for 68 yards and 1 touchdown on 19 carries against the Giants. He leaves something to be desired in the efficiency department, but what do you expect from a 36-year-old running back? 

The Bills will be taking on a Bengals defense, which has been even more generous to running backs than the Giants, trailing only the Cleveland Browns in fantasy points allowed. I guess you could say run defense isn’t a strength in Ohio. If Singletary finds himself sidelined, or even if he is limited, Gore will be in line for a solid day. 

Players that will boom in Week 3: David Johnson, Zach Ertz, John Brown, Amari Cooper, David Montgomery, Cowboys D/ST

Week 3 Running Back Rankings  

1. Ezekiel Elliott  

2. Christian McCaffrey 

3. Dalvin Cook

4. Saquon Barkley

5. Nick Chubb

6. David Johnson  

7. Alvin Kamara 

8. Todd Gurley  

9. Austin Ekeler  

10. Aaron Jones 

Week 3 Wide Receiver Rankings

1. DeAndre Hopkins

2. Julio Jones

3. Amari Cooper

4. Odell Beckham Jr. 

5. Mike Evans

6. Keenan Allen 

7. Davante Adams

8. Antonio Brown

9. Michael Thomas 

10.Chris Godwin