Latino Student Council to hold celebration for 30th year of operation

<p>The Center for Latino Arts and Culture is located on the College Avenue campus, and one of its organizations it the Latino Student Council.</p>

The Center for Latino Arts and Culture is located on the College Avenue campus, and one of its organizations it the Latino Student Council.

This year the Latino Student Council (LSC) of Rutgers reaches 30 years of operation. To celebrate, this Friday the LSC will be holding an extra special opening ceremony. 

“The kickoff event to open up the community and not only start the academic year,” said Angel Maisonave, a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences sophomore and secretary of the LSC, about the opening, “but also the start of Hispanic Heritage Month.” 

The opening ceremony is not just a way to celebrate the beginning of the school year, but it is also beneficial in uniting the Latinx community at Rutgers and introducing a plethora of new students to it, Maisonave said.

During its three decades of operation, the LSC has served an important purpose for the Latinx community at Rutgers. The Center for Latino Arts and Culture’s (CLAC) website describes the purpose of the LSC as “(serving) as a representative body of Latino organizations within the Rutgers University and/or any organization that will benefit and drive for the success of the Latino community at large.” The council currently has 15 organizations which work to fulfill its mission as an umbrella organization.

The Latino Student Council is one such organization that serves many Latinx people on campus. LuisDiego Millan, a Mason Gross School of the Arts senior and the public relations chair of the LSC, said for him, personally, he did not have much Latinx exposure in his hometown. When he began his college career, Millan recalled thinking: “This is my chance to get this (Latinx) experience.” 

The LSC, he said, served as the ticket to experience more of his culture. For Maisonave, the LSC was like a big family. “Everyone knows each other, you see those people all the time everywhere, so it’s a really good way to make friends,” he said.

The goals of the LSC, according to the CLAC, are to increase recruitment of Latinx people at the University, retain and graduate all who attend, expand the Latino and Caribbean Studies as well as Latin American Studies Department and promote the overall well-being of the Latinx community.

This year’s opening ceremony will be “Flashback Friday,” a throwback to the 90s, which is reflective of the fact that the LSC began in 1989, only a year before. Students attending will be encouraged to dress accordingly. Entertainment for the ceremony will include the comedic act of Oscar Collazos and Rutgers’ Bachata club. The event will also include food, prizes and guest speakers throughout the night.

In the future, the LSC hopes to host bigger, more inclusive events that not only bring the Latinx community together but also the wider Rutgers community. “This year we (LSC) are doing bigger and better things," Maisonave said.

“This year one of our goals is to improve our relationships with other student councils on campus,” Millan said.