New York Fashion Week: Posh performances, politics

To all aspiring models, designers and local fashion enthusiasts, New York Fashion Week has concluded. If you missed out on all the fun, here’s a quick rundown of all the moments that made a real mark. From political statements to subway runways, New York Fashion Week pulled out all the stops to make this year's showcase unforgettable. 

Avatar ... But Make It Fashion 

Gypsy Sport designer Rio Uribe had his models painted head to toe in different vibrant colors and dressed in jungle-inspired vacation wear, giving them the impression of the creatures from "Avatar." To add, Uribe took an eco-friendly approach to the beauty looks with biodegradable wear.

The American Experience

Prabal Gurung, through his fashion, focused on collections detailing the American experience. This year, Gurung’s collection blended his Nepalese and American heritage and focused on what it means to be an immigrant. The designer took a strong stance against anti-immigration rhetoric and made a very political collection. The real highlight of the show was the finale, where models donned questions with their attire: Who gets to be an American? 

Diversity in Every Sense

New York Fashion Week tackled diversity, and Kate Spade kicked it off by breaking the barriers on ageless beauty and featuring a 65-year-old blogger in the show. The creative director of the show said they wanted to broaden their range of models and represent Kate Spade as a brand that constantly strives for diversity. 

Chromat celebrated 10 years in the fashion industry by having models of all sizes, ethnicities and age. Tess Holliday walked the show with a dress that had the words “sample size” written all over it, which was taking an aim at the industry’s size discrimination and the plight of plus-sized women in modeling.

Performances 

This year, a lot of designers went from holding traditional shows to crafting theatrical performances and conceptual displays. Susan Alexandra re-created a bar mitzvah. Hillary Taymour created a farmer’s market. Tom Ford, as the new chairman for the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA), set the stage for his New York Fashion Week show in an unorthodox venue: an empty subway station.

Rihanna topped off the week with her Savage x Fenty show, which featured performances from key artists like Migos, Tierra Whack, DJ Khaled and Halsey. It was a star-studded event that focused on the diversity of women and boasted about the inclusivity of the brand. Savage x Fenty’s competitor Victoria Secret has been criticized in the past for its lack of diversity in shows and lack of inclusion in its lingerie line, a point of contrast that is definitely contributing to the success of Rihanna’s brand.

The Freshmen 

We often overlook the new designers when it comes to talking about designers, and I’m here to give a rundown on the top fresh designers to look out for in the future. Japanese designer Tomo Koizumi dressed models in sculptural-like attire. Vaquera joined together with Section 8 and Creatures of the Wind for a group show which made them the brands to watch for the new year. 

This year's New York Fashion Week has continued putting an emphasis on diversity, inclusion and expression. It’s definitely refreshing to see fashion designers and brands refuse to be boxed in and show that people from all walks of life are able to relate to a collection that not only explores different cultures, but also has a voice and platform to execute the change that people deserve to see in the industry.