Rutgers' 2019 crime report shows decreases in rape incidents, drug arrests

The 2019 Annual Crime Report showed that the number rape incidents, drug arrests, domestic violence and burglaries all went down compared to 2018.  – Photo by Photo by The Daily Targum | The Daily Targum

Rutgers University—New Brunswick had a decrease in the number of incidents of rape, burglary and drug arrests in 2018, according to the 2019 Annual Crime Report released on Friday. 

Compared to 2017, where 30 total rape incidents were reported, 2018 had approximately half, with 15 rape incidents reported on and off campus, according to the report. 

Additionally, eight burglary incidents were reported in 2018, down from 15 the year before. In 2016, there were 26 burglaries reported, according to the report. 

Drug arrests, which jumped from 172 to 273 from 2016 to 2017, was down in 2018, with 214 total drug arrests within Rutgers University—New Brunswick’s jurisdiction, according to the report. 

The number of domestic violence cases went down from 70 to 49 from 2017 to 2018, according to the report. 

The Daily Targum reported last week that a report on bias incidents released by the New Jersey government showed that approximately 40% of bias incidents in Middlesex County occurred at Rutgers. The University’s crime report stated that no hate crimes were reported in 2018, compared to two hate crimes occurring in 2017 and three occurring in 2016. 

This year’s crime report also shared crime statistics for Rutgers’ campuses in Newark and Camden. In Newark in 2018, 12 total rape incidents were reported, along with two burglaries and two drug arrests. And in Camden in 2018, there were no rape incidents reported, but five burglaries and 23 drug arrests.