Rutgers drops from No. 56 to No. 62 in US News Best Colleges ranking

news-rankings-dt

Last year, The Daily Targum reported that Rutgers placed 56 out of 312 nationally ranked universities by U.S. News & World Report, 13 spots higher than the previous year. The University also outranked Pennsylvania State University last year by three spots, the first time it has done so since the rankings started in 1988, and beat out the University of Connecticut and the University of Maryland.

This year Rutgers—New Brunswick placed 62nd, according to NJ Advance Media. Pennsylvania State University placed 57th, and the University of Maryland and the University of Connecticut tied for 64th. 

Rutgers—Newark placed 132nd this year, 17 spots lower than its previous ranking of 115th. Rutgers—Camden made the ranking for the first time at 166th place. 

U.S. News & World Report ranks colleges on 16 measures of academic quality. In order to make valid comparisons, colleges are divided into four categories: National Universities, National Liberal Arts Colleges, Regional Universities and Regional Colleges. The latter two are split into subcategories: North, South, East and West. There are 10 total categories, according to U.S. News & World Report

“We’ve found the best institutions to be ones committed to academically and financially supporting their students through graduation. They draw in high-quality professors and set students up for postgraduate success," said Kim Castro, editor and chief content officer of U.S. News & World Report. 

New to the rankings this year is a "Top Performers in Social Mobility" rank, evaluating which schools are best for low-income and other underrepresented students. Rutgers—Newark tied for fourth in that list.

Rutgers—New Brunswick and Rutgers—Newark are categorized as national universities because they “offer a full range of undergraduate majors, plus master's and doctoral programs and emphasize faculty research,” according to the article. 

Rutgers—Camden is considered as a northern regional university because it “offers a broad scope of undergraduate degrees and some master's degree programs but few, if any, doctoral programs,” according to the article.

Catherine Nguyen