Rutgers experiences 4 in 10 bias incidents in Middlesex County

<p>Gurbir Singh Grewal is the first Sikh-American Attorney General in the history of the country.</p>

Gurbir Singh Grewal is the first Sikh-American Attorney General in the history of the country.

Over time, Middlesex County has had its fair share of bias incidents. 

In a state-wide report on bias incidents released earlier this summer, it said that in 2017 there were 101 reported incidents. Of these incidents, it said that 4 in 10 were reported to have occurred at Rutgers. 

Yet, the report also said that this number dropped by approximately 26%, with 75 bias incidents taking place in 2018. Though, similar to countywide numbers, the report added that the number of incidents at Rutgers dropped from 32 in 2017 to 29 in 2018. 

As described in this report, these incidents were “suspected or confirmed offenses committed against a person because of race, color, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ethnicity.”

Neal Buccino, the associate director of Public and Media Relations at the University, spoke on these incidents. 

He said that Rutgers values the diversity of its campus and is committed to maintaining a safe and welcoming environment for those on campus. 

“Bias has no place on our campus,” Buccino said. “Rutgers Police, Division of Student Affairs and its Bias Prevention and Education Committee and other administrative offices respond promptly to bias incident reports and take appropriate action.”

Buccino also commended the Rutgers Institute for Secure Communities (RISC), Rutgers Law School faculty and students, as well as other Rutgers doctoral and undergraduate students for contributing to the report released by the attorney general.