Alumni Knights making impact in NFL

Mohamed Sanu - Atlanta Falcons

Sanu is a Rutgers football team alumnus currently playing in his eighth NFL season for the Atlanta Falcons. He went to South Brunswick High School in New Jersey before playing Division I football on the Banks from 2009 to 2011. In his three-year career, he played 38 games amassing 210 receptions, 2,263 receiving yards, 653 rushing yards and 21 total touchdowns. 

The Cincinnati Bengals drafted the star wide receiver in the third round of the 2008 NFL Draft after exhibiting a 4.67-second 40-yard dash. He played his first four seasons with the Bengals. 

For his first NFL touchdown, he came in as Cincinnati's quarterback and threw a 73-yard touchdown to A.J. Green. He would play with the Bengals until the 2015 season.

Sanu left the Bengals to join the Falcons after signing a five-year $32.5 million contract with Atlanta. He was teaming up with quarterback Matt Ryan and future Hall of Fame wide receiver Julio Jones. 

This new trio was able to lead the 2016 Falcons to Super Bowl LI against the New England Patriots. The Falcons lost the game in overtime 34-28. Sanu has two more years left on his contract and the trio will have another opportunity this season to make another Super Bowl run. 

In his most recent game against the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday, Sept. 22, he had six receptions for 75 yards. So far during his, he has 353 receptions, 4,060 receiving yards and 24 touchdowns.

Devin McCourty - New England Patriots

McCourty was a part of the Scarlet Knights from 2005 to 2009. His first year as a Rutgers player, he was redshirted and started to play in 2006. Throughout his career, he played free safety and on special teams. He played 52 games, amassing six interceptions, 149 solo tackles, 238 total tackles and 2 touchdowns. He got the privilege to play with his twin brother Jason McCourty who played cornerback. Devin McCourty was given All-Big East honors. 

Devin McCourty is currently a free safety on the New England Patriots. The Patriots drafted him in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He is in his ninth season in the NFL. He won the starting job in 2010 as a rookie.

In his NFL career so far, he has won three Super Bowls (2014, 2016, 2018) while totaling 714 tackles, 21 interceptions and three sacks. This season, the reigning Super Bowl champion Patriots are 3-0. 

In the first three games of the 2019 NFL season, he has two interceptions and eight tackles. 

Jason McCourty - New England Patriots

Jason McCourty was a part of the Knights' program from 2005 to 2008. He started three years as a cornerback, ending with 148 tackles, two interceptions and 20 pass breakups. He was also a dangerous kick-off returner, as he finished second in the Big East for yards on kick return in his senior year. 

After his college career, Jason McCourty was selected in the sixth round of the 2009 NFL Draft by the Tennessee Titans. He was drafted with his college teammate Kenny Britt who was a first-round pick by the Titans. 

Jason McCourty would play in Tennessee from 2009 to 2015. He posted a career-high in tackles in 2011 with 83 solo tackles and 103 combined tackles. In 2012, he posted a career-high four interceptions. 

After the 2016 season, Jason McCourty was released by the Titans after he rejected a pay cut. The Cleveland Browns signed him on a two-year $6 million dollar contract. After competing for the job in the offseason he finished the season with 69 combined tackles and 60 solo tackles. 

He made an impact on a subpar defense as he also had 12 pass deflections, two interceptions and a touchdown. After one season, the Browns traded him to the New England Patriots. 

There he was reunited with his twin brother, Devin McCourty. He was apart of an elite Super Bowl winning team in 2018. He played great all season long with a couple of plays in the Super Bowl against the Los Angeles Rams. 

He is still on the Patriots roster as he signed a two-year $10 million contract extension this offseason. 

Logan Ryan - Tennessee Titans

Ryan is a veteran NFL defensive back currently playing cornerback for the Tennessee Titans. He played on the Banks from 2010 to 2012. During his three-season tenure, he was a second-team All-Big East selection as a sophomore and first-team All-Big East selection as a junior. 

He was also selected as an All-American following the 2012 season. Ryan decided to forgo his senior season and declared for the 2013 NFL Draft. He was drafted in the third round by the New England Patriots. He made his professional regular-season start against the New Orleans Saints. He would go onto starting seven games during his rookie season. He played for the Patriots for the duration of his rookie contract winning two Super Bowls with the team in 2014 and 2016. 

In March 2017, Ryan signed to a three-year $30 million contract with a $2 million signing bonus. He was named the starting cornerback for the Titans alongside Adoree' Jackson. 

He finished his first season with his new team with 62 tackles, one forced fumble and 11 pass deflections. Ryan started at cornerback again in 2018 and started the first 14 games before he broke his fibula. 

He was able to recover in time for the 2019 season. In the first three games of the 2019 season, Ryan has 13 combined tackles, two interceptions and six pass deflections. So far, he has had an incredible seven seasons in the NFL, gaining statistics like two Super Bowls, 394 combined tackles, 15 interceptions and 66 pass deflections. This Knight is continuing to get better and grow as a professional.

Andre Patton - Los Angeles Chargers

Patton is currently playing on the practice squad for the Los Angeles Chargers. He was an undrafted free agent in 2017 and signed with the Chargers. Patton played for Rutgers 2013 to 2016. 

He played all four years and finished his career with 90 receptions, 1164 yards and 20 touchdowns. His best season was his senior year, where he led the team with 33 receptions, 460 yards and five touchdowns. 

The Chargers signed Patton as an undrafted free agent after the NFL draft on May 1, 2017. He was waived before the season began, and signed to the practice squad. 

In 2018, he signed a reserve contract for the next season. Once again Patton was cut before the season and resigned to the practice squad. Patton was hopeful 2019 would be the season to make the team. But, he was signed on a reserve contract and placed on the practice squad after being cut after training camp in 2019. 

Finally, on Sept. 14, before week two of this season, he was promoted from the practice squad to the active roster. But, the team waived him three days later and re-signed him back to the practice squad. 

Kemoko Turay - Indianapolis Colts

The two-year veteran was drafted in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft by the Colts. Turay played for the Knights under former head coach Kyle Flood and head coach Chris Ash. 

He redshirted his freshman year and had 24 tackles, eight tackles for loss and approximately seven sacks during his rotational role on the defensive line. He was invited to the Freshman All-America Team after his impressive performance. He would go onto dominating opponents for the next three seasons for Rutgers. 

After his senior year, he was invited to the 2018 Senior Bowl and the NFL combine. He is on the Colts' roster and has played very well for a young defensive end. In his two-year career, he has 17 combined tackles, five sacks and two forced fumbles. Turay has a very bright future ahead of him for the Indianapolis. It has a top defense and is starting to give the former Knights star more game action. 

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.