Steve Pikiell brings 3 Rutgers players to Big Ten Media Day

In a little more than a month and a half, college basketball will return to the Banks. The Rutgers men's basketball team will host Bryant on Nov. 7 at the Rutgers Athletics Center (RAC), in what many anticipate to be a promising season.

Before the Scarlet Knights take the hardwood in a short six weeks, head coach Steve Pikiell and three of his players will head to the Hilton Rosemont in Rosemont, Illinois, on Oct. 2 for the annual Big Ten Media Days.

Rutgers' contingency will be made up of Pikiell, junior guard Geo Baker, senior forward Shaq Carter and sophomore guard Ron Harper Jr. in Illinois. 

The Knights enter the 2019-20 season following an 11-day trip to Spain in August, where they competed in four exhibitions against local teams in Barcelona, Madrid and Valencia. 

Rutgers finished its fifth season in the Big Ten with a program-best seven wins since joining the conference. While the Knights do not return their leading scorer, former forward Eugene Omoruyi, who elected to transfer to Oregon, they welcome in several newcomers including graduate student forward Akwasi Yeboah and true freshman guard Paul Mulcahy that are sure to provide a spark to Pikiell's lineup.

Since the former Stony Brook head coach arrived on the Banks in 2016, Pikiell has gradually improved Rutgers each season. While he has not brought the Knights more than 15 wins in his three-year tenure so far, they have played the role of Cinderella to several Big Ten teams. 

This past season, Rutgers upset then-No. 16 Ohio State in January and hung on to take down then-No. 22 Iowa on the road in March. 

The Knights made headlines after March Madness concluded when they were named Sports Illustrated's Most Improved Team out of all 68 Division 1 schools. 

Offensively, Rutgers was one of the top rebounding teams in the Big Ten, grabbing an average of 39 per game. A large chunk of that was credited to sophomore center Myles Johnson, who averaged 5.7 boards on offense. 

For updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.